Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Deepavalli (Dis)Gorge

Addendum: This post is by no means an attempt to question a person's innate ability to handle a child. The lack of courtesy and politeness was more glaring than anything else.

Late afternoon on Deepavalli day, we were at my grandma's to celebrate three birthday of my young cousins - Nani who turned 18, Mimah 14 and Ameir 15. By the by, I forgot if I'd ever divulged that I ever that I, together with my twin and eldest sis, are the oldest cousins on the maternal side? For this teatime gathering, my two uncles invited their cousins, some of whom came all the way from Johor Bahru!

Two nights before that, we were in Isetan KLCC shopping for their birthday gifts during which my husband experienced a strange encounter in the toy section of Isetan.

While he handled Sadia there, I walked about scouring for suitable tops for my spring chicken-like, teenage cousins. Sadia was fiddling with the colourful, vibrant and interactive toys, when another boy came by with two able-bodied adults, who were enrapt in their conversation and left the boy to his own devices. Suddenly, the boy complained that he wasn't feeling so good and wanted to throw up. The two people continued confabulating and ignored the boy's repeated pleas for intervention.

And hurl he did! In copious amount close to where Sadia and hubby stood! Before hubby whisked Sadia away lest she would follow suit in regurgitating, he passed a small case of babywipes to the lady.

The lady responded in the oddest manner: "No, no, I am not the mother." The tone was emphatic. And no word of thanks was offered in turn.

What the heck??? Was she trying to reassure the man whom was present hat the boy was not hers? What gives?!

That was not the kind of reply you would expect after handing over your treasured ration of wet tissues to a total stranger. What does an unconditional gesture to help a sick boy has anything to do with her being a mother? It looks like either one of them was in charge of the boy at that point in time. So be responsible and clean up the mess! If you don't want to be accountable for the boy, don't be a temporary guardian in the first place! She was seen frantically calling someone up on the phone shortly thereafter.

My husband recounted the story after I joined them at the kiddies section. As we walked out of Isetan, I saw the lady again with her extended family (I'm sure they had come to the rescue) and she shot me a surly look.

"You're welcome" came to my lips but I don't think she speak human.


Candle-blowing and singing session


Mom with her cousin, Auntie Mi


Singing Re-take


Carrot Cake for Ameir & Chocolate Cake for Mimah and Nani


Shy niece, Piya with fiesty niece, Alya


Alya with affable brother Zaris


The one who always like to dress up ANY time of day, Elisa

No comments: