Sunday, October 21, 2007

Season in the Sun


Enroute to Kuching,a hyper Sadia kept her parents highstrung

It's been a week since I last posted a short note on this space. And today we're off for a quick holiday just because we needed a break from all the routine.

Well, there's actually no particular excuse. We just want to get away. The three of us. Period.

It's a family tradition that we plan to adhere to for Raya - a vacation right after a few days of festivities. The first one was in 2005 when we headed off to the rolling hills of Cameron Highlands. This end-year jaunt is also our way of commemorating our wedding anniversary date according to the Muslim calendar, which felicitiously enough falls on the 14th of Syawal.

The only girl of my sister-in-law - Zeti and Sadia at Kuching home


Showing off their baju Raya

As for Raya with the in-laws, we got back from Kuching in the late afternoon of last Wednesday to the most unfortunate circumstance. I lost my cell phone! At the Kuching airport!

I only realised its loss when we were in the taxi heading home to Ampang. I was devastated, to say the least. The phone holds a priceless sentimental value to me, so many memories of Holland captured and stored in the form of photos and videos during our year among the tulips.

I berated and mentally kicked myself for being so careless when we plonked ourselves in the airport's waiting area for our flight which in turn was delayed. I must have left it either in the ladies room or one of long seats while nursing Sadia. It'd been a long, exhausting trip that I wasn't as alert as I would normally be. Excuses, excuses.

Waiting for our delayed flight (before that fated phone incident)

That, or I was deliriously high on caffeine for having sipped a Grande size Cafe Latte in almost one sitting at the first Starbucks outlet in Kuching, located in the vicinity of the airport's departure gates! Turns out, it has been in operations since June 2007. Fear not town-bound Kuchingites, there'd be another outlet in the heart of Kuching before the year closes.

Steaming hot Cafe Latte, anyone?

Oh, I'm such a sentimental old fool. Moaning and whining I was for the rest of the night. To make matters worse, as soon as we reached our apartment, I received news on the possible job front that a major snag might have ruined my chances in securing the said position. Bummer. Perhaps it's a sign?

Hubby tried to cheer me up by recounting the number of phones he had lost/misplaced over the years. Indeed, there are countless to mention. Let's just say it doesn't even come close to my figure. *Touchwood!*

Oh well, at least I have the photos and videos from the camera. And I did either download some photos to the computer or bluetooth some to hubby's phone.

Que Sera Sera.

My emotions were however (unwillingly) in check by the next day - Thursday - since I had organised a meet-up with some galfriends from my pre-collegiate preparatory program. Like me, one of them, Ina is married to a guy also from the same program. And she is a close friend, despite the distance (Penang) and family obligations in between us.

I also wanted to meet another dear friend, Khalina who is married to a Muslim convert (or revert) and with their three kids, are residing in Jeddah. They were due to fly out the following day - Friday.

Since they were in town, I thought it'd be nice for a mini-reunion of sorts to catch up with one another. I called another girlfriend from our program, who funnily enough through this thing we call Six Degrees of Separation, is a close friend of my twin's close friend. Go figure. Apparently, they went to the same secondary girl school together.

Note: Sorry Meen, I didn't manage to call you since I'd lost my phone and recalled that you'd be out of town until the weekend)

We met for tea in Dome, KLCC and chatted for the most parts about what we all have been up to since the last time we saw each other. In Su's case, I haven't seen her since she got married in 1998. Or was it late 1997? Unless of course, if you count bumping into one another one fine day 2-3 years back as seeing a person.

In spite of the relatively brief sortie with these fine ladies - one and half hour - due to having to fulfill my filial duty elsewhere, it was simply capital chatting with my friends after a year of absence.

We'll do it again I'm sure in the near future and this time, I propose a tête-à-tête as I'd be able to focus on one person at a time!

Till my next missive, I pray for sunny and windy weather by the beach when we get to our destination. Toodles!

Three SAHMs and a professor :)

7 comments:

A.Z. Haida said...

salam syawal...
sorry about your missing cell phone and the job thingy - but as cliche as it sounds, there must be a silver lining somewhere...
have faith!

here's wishing you a safe trip to and fro your holiday destination and hope it will be a blast.

Blabarella said...

Oh dear, life does that to us sometimes. My laptop's hard disk chose to just die on me a few weeks after we returned to Egypt, and I lost everything inside which had not been backed up before I left, including all photos, etc taken when we were back in KL. What to do, must have hikmah.

But don't worry, things will get better! You look like you had a wonderful Raya otherwise, so that's a bonus!

Don't worry about the job - again, must have hikmah.

Lollies said...

oh dear. that is just too bad.

do you think you want to try to call the office back and informed your new number?

that remins me, I should do my back up now.

Cosmic_GurL said...

Sorry to hear abt your missing mobile :(( It sucks i know. Takder plak hamba Allah yang baik hati return the phone to one of the Airport staff?

Nour said...

Hi Theta,
Sorry to hear about your handphone. Sometimes, no matter how careful you are, if it is meant to go missing..tak boleh nak buat apa. Anyways,hope you are feeling much better now.

I agree things would happen for a reason..ada hikmah.

Hang in there ya. Good luck with your job hunting :)

Theta said...

AZ Haida,
Thanks. I do believe in silver linings.

As for the holiday, it's a blast, despite getting lost a bit. :)

Blabs,
Raya was great, in spite of some hiccups.

Yeah, I concur there's a hikmah somewhere underneath all that had transpired.

Sorry about your photo loss. I can REALLY empathize there.

Theta said...

Lollies,
I called the Kuching airport about the lost phone. But I didn't give my number in case they do find it.

But a blogger friend offered to help to check if there's any news. But I doubt it. It's been more than a week :(

Cosmic Gurl,
Funny you wondered if there'd be anyone nice enough to return the phone. My hubby was one such lucky person to get his phone back in Kuching airport, when he misplaced it there few years back.

Someone called his friend's number in Kuching and informed about the lost phone and the phone was returned to hubby's home in Kuching. Good samaritans are abound when you least expect it!

Nour,
Yeah, again, I believe there's a reason for everything. And there's a lesson behind it.

Thanks for your kind words.