Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Strolling on Stilts




Sleeping on the day bed with the lulling sound of the waves lapping underneath me is my idea of a relaxing holiday. The wooden balcony opens to shallow seawaters in late afternoon with mangrove trees swaying gracefully as if transfixed by the spell of the gentle breeze. I was similarly mesmerized by the calming, almost tranquilizing effect the sea has over me.

At the water’s edge, small rocks demarcate the line where the land begins and the sea flourishes. They also act as a series of buttresses against further land erosion caused by the salt water. Crickets chirping in a staccato-like manner seem oblivious of the chaotic world around them. Oh, how I wish at times life would be that simple and that I’d be as impervious to the pains and heartaches that have been inflicted on me and my loved ones.

It matters not that my head is wooly, my nose stuffy, my eyes watery and my throat scratchy, as I curl under the covers in this peaceful oasis. What important is being here to clear my thoughts, recharge my battery, and soak in the coastal scenery. After all, the very essence of vacation is to get away from it all?


2 comments:

Nour said...

Lucky you!!I wish was given the opportunity to go for a break...:)

Your lil one seems to be having so much fun especially with the cute rabbits.

Theta said...

Nour,
I can vouch that Sadia had the most fun, swimming in the pool and practically kicking the rabbits out of excitement! As a result, one of the babyrabbits got hurt on one of his/her foot and squealed away in pain. Poor dear!