Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Raya Nostalgia

It's Tuesday already and Raya (or Eid) looms ever so closely!

This Thursday, shortly after the day turns into dusk, Muslims in Malaysia will be on the lookout for the new (or crescent) moon, which signifies the end of Ramadan and simulataneously heralds the month of Syawal or Eid-ul-Fitr. As wont and according to Islamic Falak calculations, Raya will fall on the following two days after the moon-sighting day. Yet, there were those very rare occasions when the moon DID appear on the moon-sighting day which in turn caused a ruckus in many a household not fully prepared - mentally, culinarily, ornamentally, decoratively, fashionably, cosmetically, and what-have-yous.

(Note: In Malaysia, it's a normal practice to use both the Rukyah method - sighting of moon - and the Falak method - astronomical calculation - to ascertain the first day of Syawal. However, in recent years, debates have cropped up over the permissibility and legitimacy of our Falak method.)

In my household, our preparation this Raya is pretty moderate, to say the least. Neither I nor my hubby bought or made any new garbs for this Eid since hubby is much comfortable in his old Baju Melayus whereas I possess a few traditional clothes that I haven't got the chance to wear when the stork sprang upon me. As for Sadia, my younger sister-in-law had generously sewn two baju kurungs of different sizes last Raya and I'm happy to report that Sadia can now fit to the larger one. Yay!

As for the customary Raya cookies, a few are ordered while even fewer are baked at home. Home, as in my parents' place in Kota Damansara. Due to some foreseeable reasons, Raya is not celebrated on a grand scale this year. Well at least, that's what it feels to me. Perhaps, it should always be that way - overindulgence is never good. Waste not, as the saying goes.

I think as grown-ups, more so when one has touched and passed the big 3-0, Raya is less, if I dare say so myself, enjoyable. I must qualify that I still love the idea of house-hopping during Raya in a convoyed fashion, the thought of forging camarederie and renewing familial ties, and the simple act of distributing money (duit raya) to children.

It is just the typical exhiliration and anticipation have been replaced by weariness and nonchalance. I believe, as I grow older, there isn't much to look forward to during the Eid celebration in terms of planned activities.

In contrast, eager children have a lot to expect at these times through the receipt of a number of 'monetary rewards' simply for having successfully complete the 30 days of fasting, the host of outdoor outings to play sparklers and other innocuous firecrackers, as well as, the mulitude of houses to besiege for the sole purpose of collecting Raya money towards one's savings.

When I was little, I thoroughly enjoyed these excursions with my cousins and other friends where piercing laughter, alfresco games and pouring sweat dominated the day. We unabashedly checked out a relative's grove in Kapar, despite knowing too well the prospect of crossing the path of slithering animals and other wild creatures like a fox or a porcupine. Even the sheer thought of lining up to ask for forgiveness from parents and elderly relatives during Raya morning gave me the warm fuzzies.

Also, going from one house to another felt less like a chore because of the fantastic bond that I shared with other children of more or less the same age. Being kids that we were, we predictably and shamelessly compared the amount of Raya money we had amassed. This practice, I must say, proves to be very advantageous as there would be times when an aunt or an uncle bestowed unequal number of Ringgits to children of 'the same age group' and he or she would more often than not gladly make up for the difference! So word of advice to the kids : better doublecheck your stash with your homies!

And of course, my Raya won't be complete without the compulsory photo snapping sessions throughout the first few days of celebration. Back then, we would congregate at my grandma's in Kampung Bharu to bersalam-salaman (or seeking forgiveness through shaking and kissing of hands) and thereafter proceeded to take a family photograph in the living room. Through my innocent eyes, the very act of photo-taking symbolises unity amongst my kith and kin.

Family Photo-Op Raya 2006

Nowadays, as my maternal family grows larger and undergoes a series of permutations, the probability of assembling everyone at the same time for a photo-op is close to nil. But Kampung Bharu would always be the focal point for the first day of Raya, as far as I could remember, since my parents had come to an agreement to celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr in Kuala Lumpur whilst Eid-ul-Adha would be spent in Terengganu/Kelantan.

The reason behind this conjugal pact is because Raya Haji is traditionally much more livelier and fun back in the the good olde' East Coast. Or so I was told. However, truth be told, I could count the times we actually went back for Raya Haji, the dearth of which was partly due to my dad's work commitment and the short vacation period attached to this other Raya. This in turn also conveniently explains my lack of rapport with as well as reinforces the feelings of misapprehension with cousins from the paternal side. (It's a long story)

As I bid farewell to the glorious month of Ramadan and usher in the trumphant month of Syawal, thoughts of yesteryear engulf me with all of its maudlinness. For the life of me, I can't help but to turn wistful as Raya fast approaches. Must be something in the air.

Nothwithstanding my apparent blithe unconcern about celebrating Raya, I still relish the notion of togetherness and merriment that is synonymous with the old-fashioned way I observe Eid-ul-Fitr. Here's to more Raya feel-good factor for us and the future generations!

Eid Mubarak and Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri to all my Muslim readers, cohorts, relatives and acquaintances!

(Now let me see - first day - Kampung Bharu, Kampung Pandan, Kajang.....second day - Kuching!)

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Theta,

Here's wishing you and family, 'SELAMAT HARI RAYA AIDILFITI'.

Take care dear. Kiss for Sadia.

Lollies said...

i can see your first two days raya schedule is very hectic. have fun regardless.

selamat hari raya theta. mintak maaf terkasar bahasa.

Lady Gargle said...

Now that I'm married and have a family of my own, Hubby and I are starting a new tradition that is to make ketupat palas every raya! :) Thanks to my grandmama who taught me how to do it

Count Byron said...

Selamat Hari Raya Theta and family. I'm sure you'll have lots of pictures to snap this raya too... since Kampung Baru, Kajang, then Kuching are all chartered in your course..

Salam to your family

CB

Blabarella said...

Salam Aidilfitri to you & family!

Unknown said...

Theta,
Thank you for stopping by at my blog and left a commnet. The other day, LanLan, my Malaysian friend and I were talking about the loss of magic of Hari Raya. The thing is we don't see the Hari Raya in a child eyes anymore. We have lost the wonder and the magic.

Salam Hari Lebaran.

Nour said...

Selamat Hari Raya to you andfamily, especially the little one, Sadia :)

Mustafa Şenalp said...

Your blog is very nice:)

The Purple Cat said...

Have a fun Raya, ya :)
Take care.

Theta said...

Ruby dear,
Thanks for your advice about having a clear mind on what I want MY raya to be. :) Will bear that in mind...always.

Have a splendid one yourself with loved ones!

Lollies dear,
Yeah so the very hectic. Heh Heh.
But luckily there's a traditional afternoon siesta in Kg Bharu where almost everyone make like a python and coils and sleeps! Ular sawa hibernating!

Theta said...

Frankensteina,
I love ketupat palas! It's a strong favourite! I love the Sarawakian version as well where they are boiled with coconut milk, to which I was introduced to during my first Raya in there.

Nice tradition to start! :)

Count Byron,
It's an honour to have you drop by my humble blog. Yes, plenty of photos to snap indeed. Let's just hope the digital camera's battery won't conk out on me!

Blabs,
And likewise, to you and yours!

=)

Theta said...

AnaSalwa,
Thanks for returning the gesture and visit my blog! It's a pleasure, to be sure! :)

The loss of magic and innocence pretty much sums up my feelings. I wonder if it's because we've become jaded with our set of life experiences? Or simply, we've become too caught up in becoming an adult and the responsibilities (or burdens) that come with it?

Take care and have a great Raya over there in Boston! :)

Theta said...

Nour,
You too! Have a fantabulous Raya and a safe journey back to Kampung.

Take care and my doa to your late mother for Raya.

Mustafa Şenalp,
Thank you. You're too kind :D

PurpleCat,
Thanks. You have a cheerful one as well. Hope to hear more of your engaging stories come Raya time!

NorAiniJ said...

Dear Theta,

Selamat Hari Raya to you and your family!

Anonymous said...

theta dear...

salam aidilfitri.. maaf zahir batin...hope u will have a blast raya this year :0)

Anonymous said...

eid mubarak, theta!

ouh.. my maternal side originally from kg bharu too.. but nobody lives in the rumah pusaka at jalan raja bot anymore.

thanks for dropping by. wonder where u found the link. ;)

Theta said...

NJ dear,
Have a safe trip to Johor and NS!
Take care.

Simah,
It'll be blast, alright. With my uncle's affinity to light the loudest firecrackers! Heh heh.

Hope yours is as enjoyable in Turkey :)

Intan aka Sinaps,
Jalan Raja Bot? Is that the one near the Kg Bharu mosque?

As for the link, I'm quite resourceful you know. Hehe.