Friday, July 13, 2007

Quicktake: Love is a Many Splendoured Thing


When my dear friend Rizby invited me to join as his friend on Friendster, I was nonplussed. I had this sweeping notion that the portal is aimed towards the juvenile segment of the population.

Though the bulk of its users do hover in this age-group and puerile thoughts, not to mention suggestive photos, tend to dominate some friendster profiles, I find myself actually liking this whole idea of Friendster.

Through its nifty search categories, it aids in re-connecting me with some old friends from college. People whom I have not heard from in over 10 years!

It's surreal to touch base with those people whom I spent a substantial portion of my time on campus. If it were not for them, I would be a solitary figure meandering through my four years of collegiate life. They offered their friendships, and lent support, in whichever way possible.

I also found my roommate from senior year - this kooky Hawaiian girl with an affinity for Christian-related activities - retreats, liturgies and everything in between. Coming from a mixed parentage of Hawaiian and Caucasian, she is, in my estimation, beautiful with aquiline nose, porcelain skin and long lashes. Unlike my roommates from hell freshman year, she was definitely 'tame' in comparison and understood fully my religious requirements i.e. praying and aversion to alcohol beverages. Also, her busy religious extracurricular schedule meant that she was seldom in the room, much to my great comfort and need for personal space.

Of course, like any partnerships, it was bound to hit some rough spots where even disagreements over the silliest things didn't go unnoticed. When I looked back at those unnecessary frictions, I sniggered for my inane actions. I'm sure there were some things that I did that drove her crazy as well!

In the spirit of friendships (or quasi-friendships), I am glad that bygones be bygones as we now tread on different stations in our lives. In our 30-year-old-something bodies, our energies should be channeled towards something more productive than harbouring resentment and fuming a pent-up anger at long forgotten transgressions.

On that note, focusing our productivity on loved ones - spouses, family members, siblings, relatives, kindred spirits, in-laws - should be high on the list of priorities. Attending to their needs, wants, woes, sickness, disability, fears, doubts and so forth goes hand in hand with our own breathing. When one of them is injured, a part of us will in turn gasp for air.

This inextricable bond transcends the tangible and palpable side of our mortal souls and demonstrates the depth of our sincere affections for our loved ones. Ideally that should always be the case, but alas, experiences have sadly shown me otherwise. However, that is another story altogether....

Friendster has the great benefits of reuniting friends and lovers as well as securing the interest of possible suitors in that elusive search for everlasting commitment. In fact, real life should mirror the niceties and holistic approach of Friendster! Spreading all that love and friendship around without inhibition or disillusionment.

As crooned by Frank Sinatra, "Love is nature's way of giving a reason to be living; the golden crown that makes a man a king".

Have a lovely weekend y'all! :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Theta,

You too? Ha ha. Two months ago I was invited to join friendster. Initially I was shocked..yes, I thought this is teenagers' realm. Since my respectable girlfriend invited me and when I studied the list of her friends are all matured adults, I said why not..he he. But, duh so inactive...! Last week I was invieted to jojn 'facebook' (did I get the term right?). Have you heard of this? Take care dear.

Theta said...

Facebook? I heard of it by sheer coincidence when the Online 'Slides.com' that I signed up with, announced of its tie-in with Facebook.
How does Facebook actually work?

Too many community portals, too little time ;-)