Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My Springy Sprog

It's only fitting to start the new year on a positive note. Hence, this post on a loved one. And what is more apt than showcasing the little girl who has been the center of our universe for close to three years now.

With Sadia's birthday around the corner in about a month's time, I am more inclined to share some milestones, developments and her other idiosyncrasies.

She is full of vocabulary. Apart from uttering polysyllabic words like 'migration', 'decoration' and 'invitation', there have been a series of unexpected phrases such as "Let's build it together", "You want to have tea party with me?", "I don't like this kind", "Everyone, buckle up" and our favourite, "What's the big idea?". We chalk this affinity for English words up to her 24/7 exposure to the PlayhouseDisney channel. She does speak Malay, albeit mixed up with English. For instance, she still doesn't know how to count in Malay, but she can easily count in English up to Number 15.

She's more clingy than ever, for obvious reasons. Ever since she experienced recurring episodes of toothache late last year, she had technically been weaned off. Her two front teeth, which have disappeared from sight many moons ago, developed an infection and had caused us several sleepless nights with her incessant crying out of excruciating pain. She had even implored, in between sobs, for us to buy her new teeth. Poor little Sadia. With the absence of usual physical comfort, she has become easily weepy and wanted me to be as close to her as possible. It makes cooking next to impossible! I know she is in a hard place now, having to abruptly come to terms that my mammaries are off limits. Somehow, I too miss our 'bonding' sessions. While I'm grateful the weaning came about, it's the manner in which it transpired that left me wanting. In time, we both will adjust.

She is inherently bossy. It's probably hard for a mother to admit this about her kid, but I have no qualms whatsoever. Sadia is indeed one bossy kid. We have countlessly humoured her commands and orders to play Ring-Around-The-Rosy, London Bridge, Hide-and-Seek, and so forth. She couldn't care less if we are doggone tired. And every single time the Little Einsteins' theme song is on, we have to stand, sing and clap along with her. The same goes for Mickey Mouse Clubhouse anthem and closing song. Time to get her into playschool, methinks!

She has the knack of getting her legs in a twist. I don't know if it has anything to do with her tendency to stand on her tippytoe, but Sadia would always get her legs tangled up, be it standing up or sitting down. The wires that connect the television to the CD player and the sliding mechanism underneath the passenger seat of our car are the usual suspects. We would put away items or get them out of the way lest they might attract the jerking movement of her legs. I do wonder if she's following the footsteps of her klutzy Mama.

She has a keen interest in arts and music. With respect to the former, I am not sure if it is a fleeting interest. Knowing how artistically-inclined her father is (and was in school), I am nonetheless more than eager to encourage this hobby. She even asked for a water colour paint box and a paintbrush in order to mimic Noddy's painting attempt in one episode. On Monday, she picked out magic markers from IKEA for another colouring project. I believe she's more interested in experimenting with the various drawing materials and their ensuing results. As for music, she can differentiate among many musical instruments thanks to Little Einsteins. I mean, she didn't hesitate to correct me if I had mixed trombone up from trumpet!




On the domestic front, we bought her a toddler bed back in mid-December in preparation for both the new baby and planned weaning. However, she has yet to sleep on the bed, uninterrupted. Whenever I put her on it at night, she would roll back into our bed which conveniently adjoins hers. With the weaning off, I am hopeful she would get used to it soon. She has a few months to practice anyway.


As for my expecting, Sadia still refers to the growing fetus as 'Mama's baby'. She has yet to grasp the concept of her being a sister. A big sister. Kakak. It's a slow process, but we will get there together. In the meantime, I am busy entertaining the whims and fancies of one demanding and clingy tot. My precious flower*.



*Sadia means Flower.

4 comments:

أم الليث said...

such a sophisticated vocabulary! :) aren't all toddlers bossy? they are ego-centric at the time.

she's very cute.. i love her hair like that.

nuhaafnan said...

how apt, she was wearing floral prints too in the pics!

i'm showing nunu sadia's inviting bed so that she knows a lot of her peers are already sleeping in their own beds

Theta said...

Aliya,

Now she likes to say EXCITED. Hehe. "Mama excited?" "Yayah excited?"

The pix was taken before we went to the salon to get her long bangs cut.


Anne,

Oh yeah! Didn't put the two together. :) The bright (read: loud) pyjama is from Holland. She can still fit in it.

Sadia has yet to sleep on her bed, but she likes to pretend to sleep in it during the day :)

Anonymous said...

lovely photos...and this is one of the times when I envy SAHMs..I missed out quite a bit on my two boys' growing up.