Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Lessons of 2008

In about one hour's time, the curtain will come down on 2008. As the new year looms very close, I am inadvertently reminded that I will be adding another year to my age.

With it will come out sprouting more strands of silver hair and cracking more fine lines under my eyes. My husband and I often wonder from where we had summoned the energy to walk all over the places in the sweltering heat of KL in our '20s. I chalk it up mainly to our higher metabolism and wide-eyed enthusiasm. I don't even think I sweat in those days; nowadays I sweat buckets!

Lack of personal transport, we often relied on the Kommuter, taxis and the LRT to bring us to places of interest, usually mall-oriented. Now, we can't imagine how we would survive without a car. Especially with a restless toddler in tow.

So what has happened in a year?

There were several events that had caused me to reflect and reassess some long-term goals. And there were the vacations that soothed the nerves and salved the soul. Oh yeah, how can I forget - the news of me expecting again was the icing on the cake of a very interesting year.

Most of all, there were the lessons that had come to pass. Here they are:

(1) After reaching a certain age, some people are so entrenched in their thinking, attitude and beliefs that it defies any sort of reasoning to change them.

(2) Never ever take for granted the kindness of others. What goes around comes around.

(3) People surprise you when you least expect it. They can turn out to be nicer than you have otherwise preconceived.

(4) Friendships come in the unexpected forms and shapes. They're your picker-upper in life.

(5) Sometimes friends disappoint you when you expect a bigger mileage than they could be able to muster, but you learn to let go and cut them some slack.

(6) No matter how rough things get with your siblings, you learn to forgive them. Blood is indeed thicker than water.

(7) Never boast or swagger your so-called talent, physical attributes, mental dexterity and so on. It can be taken away from you, in ways unimaginable.

(8) Try developing a keen foresight to differentiate those who genuinely want to befriend you and those who are eager to discover your Achilles Heel.

(9) Sometimes it's better to shut your mouth than to start another round of petty argument.

(10) A hug from loved ones - toddler included - does a world of wonders.

It's almost midnight, so I bid you a beautiful 2009 ahead and may the year's lessons bring with us more courage, wisdom and happiness. Grey hair, wrinkles and all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Theta,

have a wonderful year!

And congratulations for the second pregnancy!

Take care!

all jazzed up said...

Hi Tita,

A hug really does mean more to us as we grow older. I wonder why?