Wednesday, July 09, 2008

While The Husband's Away

The other half has been out of town since late last Friday night. Predictably, I had a considerable misgiving about having to hold the fort alone in the interim.

Despite the fact that we both know this day would come sooner or later, I was not at all pleased when it came knocking on my door. His new position entails travelling, at least initially (I hope) as he needs to tie some loose ends and configure a firm plan for action.

This is different from the days when there were just the two of us. I could just pack my bags and stay at my parents when he was away overseas. Now with a toddler in tow, I have to execute my plans in a better frame of mind and with (almost) perfect timing. The former refers to my tendency to be overemotional whilst the latter relies on Sadia being a creature of habit. I simply cannot afford to indulge in my 'boohoohoo' moments since Sadia would take a bulk of my free time - more so as the hubby is not available at night to take over - and my reprieve only comes when Sadia abides by her routine which, as far as toddler standard goes, is noncommittal.

This six-day trip marks the first time my husband is away from us as a family unit. While he attended classes in The Netherlands, the arrangement was fine with me as he did get to come back to check on us once in a while, like during lunch break or in between classes. At times, he even skipped having dinner with the classmates just so he could spend time with us. Bless him.

Oh no. My bad. He was away twice during my confinement, but I didn't mind that much since Sadia was, on hindsight, relatively easier to handle back then.

So, this signals his first time abroad after coming back from the honeymooning year in Holland.

As wont, I felt apprehensive having to be left on my own to take care of Sadia, despite staying at my parents' for the most part of the duration. But Sadia turned out to be on the whole cooperative with me; our long drive from Ampang to Kota Damansara together was somewhat smooth. She even asked me on few occasions "What's wrong Mama?" whenever I looked sad or stressed out. Bless her.

With husband coming back tomorrow God willing, the following are some observations that I've made from this whole experience :


  1. It is possible to fit one set of parents, a brother, two nephews and a niece in one's small apartment when one (and one's sanity) is more than willing to share the same cramped space.

  2. Acute lack of sleep doesn't give you the license to unleash your anger on a toddler, or an unsuspecting waiter.

  3. It is possible to leave your ostensibly clingy toddler with your mom and her cousin(s) to play while you go about your chores, once the toddler grows accustomed to these people.

  4. Imploring a toddler to eat her food is like trying to turn stone into gold.

  5. Never underestimate the energizer-bunny power of one's toddler who could go on for a long period without food when she is preoccupied at play with her cousin.

  6. Don't ask me how but this nomadic existence somehow helps in shedding a few kilos (or less optimistically, a few pounds). Must be all the running around the places.

  7. Catching up with old friends over coffee has a more copacetic ring to it when the toddler sleeps throughout most of the tête-à-tête. Thanks Eng for the skinny latte and the barrel of laughs. :P

  8. It is possible to keep your emotions in check in the presence of responsibilities and priorities as a mother. Dwelling on the empty space on a spacious bed or the pangs of loneliness won't take you anywhere.

  9. This brief distance apart also serves as a time of reflection on one's marriage and the things one has taken for granted and one can improve in this union. (Trust me to romanticise this short stay)


With almost a week behind me, surprisingly I feel fully recharged and raring to go. As Michael Bublé intones in Home :
Let me go home
I’m just too far from where you are
I wanna come home

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My friend,

ROTFLOL!

I must say I like item no.2 the most. And that haunting tune from Buble, now where is that CD...

Theta said...

Elviza,

When you have a screaming toddler wanting to sit down to choose her ice-cream from a menu and a 'schema' waiter who believes in proper table set-up before settling you to your seats, your toddler wins hands down.

This song is one of my favourites from Buble. Westlife's rendition kinda spoils it for me. :P