Sunday, April 06, 2008

In Your Wilders Dream


Will the real Geert Wilders please stand up?

Before I jump onto any of the Kill-Geert-Wilders (not to be mistaken with the genuinely comical Gene Wilder) bandwagon or boycott Dutch-related products and companies (I so love Dutch Lady coffee-flavoured milk and fill up the tank with Shell), I want to reiterate that I will not be instigated by a nut case who sports a ridiculous platinum blond dye job which appropriately enough reveals the 'root' of his Aryan-like character.

To me, someone with a glaring hair colour has only one thing on his agenda: publicity, publicity and more publicity. I wouldn't want to trust a limelight hoarder.

Granted, his latest move of putting online the 'Fitna' short film that condemns the Holy Qur'an is an issue that must be taken seriously by 'concerned' Muslims. Instead of immobilising this looney with death threats that will only reinforce his fervent belief of Islam's supposed violent teachings, we should educate the misinformed on the correct meaning of the verses being manipulated in the short film. After all, as history has shown us anything taken out of context can be used to serve one's singular diabolical goal.

Having lived in the Netherlands for almost a year may not qualify me to make sweeping remarks about the Nederlanders; but from what I've been exposed to the Dutch are mostly peace-loving and friendly people. Sure, there were hiccups when dealing with the authorities such as the immigration but on the whole, the living experience has been great.

Probably we were lucky with respect to the locality in which we stayed in. As for travelling to the other parts of the country, again we met with people ever ready to help and flash a smile. Dutch's long-drawn history with Indonesia must have also played a part in creating an open-minded society. (Hey, they like to eat their patat (fries) with pindasaus (peanut sauce), for goodness sake!)

Also, one must also bear in mind that, despite the Dutch television networks' refusal to air his film and the entreaties of Dutch multi-national companies to drop the film, Mr. Wilders was still adamant to show his handy work to the world through the widely accessible Internet.

As this article points out:
Having failed to persuade a single Dutch television network to broadcast the film in its entirety, he said he planned to release it on the Internet by the end of this month.

He routinely equates the Koran with Hitler’s “Mein Kampf,” saying it should be banned in the Netherlands, and he declared in an interview that the Prophet Muhammad could be compared to the German dictator.

Personally, I find it funny that such remarks come from someone - pseudo-White Supremacist, if you will - who has to dye his hair a hideous shade to get noticed.

Clearly, Wilders' sentiment doesn't speak for most Nederlanders. As such, I liken the call for the ban of Dutch products as a result of the short film to saying ALL Muslims have the propensity for violence and terrorism because of the 9/11 attacks.

(This is different from the 'Danish incident' where the newspaper could have prevented the cartoons from being published.)

And I also beg to differ with this bold contention:
Framing himself as a defender of free speech, Mr. Wilders said there would not be such a fuss about his film if it were about the Bible.

A few years ago, a group of staunch Christians called for the boycott of the film 'Da Vinci Code' due to its sacrilegious premise. Even the Vatican released a strong statement against Dan Brown's bestseller and its subsequent film adaptation.

Another bizarre twist to his stance concerns his policy of hating Islam, but not its people:
“I believe the Islamic ideology is a retarded, dangerous one, but I make a distinction,” he said. “I don’t hate people. I don’t hate Muslims.

He added: “I am not saying all Muslims are wrong or are terrorists or criminals. You will never hear me say that.”

I just don't get that one. How could you separate the two entities? Religion and its devotees are intertwined. As the great late Tan Sri P.Ramlee intones "Irama dan lagu tak boleh dipisahkan" (Rhythm and music can never be kept apart).

Or plainly speaking, it's like saying you hate Jesus but you love Christians. What gives? *Hello! (knocking on the head) Is anyone in there?*

All things considered, I really don't give a hoot about what this Geert Wilders buffoon has to say about my religion. He doesn't know better. We Muslims shouldn't retaliate in a predictable manner as this will only help to vindicate his theory, however paper-thin it might be. Explaining to 'outsiders' about the true teachings of Islam paves the way for a better integration within a mixed community.

By the by, I also have this nagging suspicion that Wilders' hatred of 'Islamic ideology' is just an excuse for his acute fear of the influx of Muslim immigrants in his country. (Hence, the Aryan Race comment above).

As for the continued, impassionate call to boycott the Netherlands and its products, please let me put things in perspective. This is a nation that legalises gay sex in public park (well at least the one in Amsterdam) but will not hesitate to fine dog owners who let their dog off the leash in said park.

You have been warned.

2 comments:

Cosmic_GurL said...

I saw the clip on youtube and got really upset and angry. That idiot twisted everything! He depicted Muslim as terrorists and for that he should be shot! But I believe Allah is great and humans esp Muslims shouldnt take it upon themselves to seek revenge and blow the guy's brains off.

Tht idiot will get wht he deserves from Allah, if not now then in afterlife.

Theta said...

Cosmic Gurl,
I haven't watched the video clip because I know I'd go off the deep end too.

But I tell myself he's not worth my time.

Don't get me wrong. I'm concerned about him defiling our Holy Qur'an but we Muslims have to use a different tack to solve this problem.

When all else fail, like you, I'm confident that Allah will mete out a suitable punishment for him.