Wednesday, April 30, 2008

An aside: OKU versus OKS *

We came back from a regular outing in One Utama shopping centre last Saturday, almost close to Maghrib and nonetheless made a quick stop to Ampang Point to buy some grocery produce for dinner.

Since Sadia was napping, I waited in the car with her on my lap while hubby went to the Giant Supermarket located in said shopping centre. Customarily, I'd text the grocery list to his phone so as to minimise the risk of forgetting certain items or losing the piece of paper with a list on it.

Formalities aside, this particular story involves my husband's experience in the crammed supermarket. Well, it feels crammed especially with all the hypermarkets mushrooming in the Klang Valley.

Anyway, after finding said items in the narrow supermarket aisles, he was putting the stuff on the conveyor belt at the check-out cum cashier counter. While he was doing so, someone from behind flung a plastic full of oranges (or some fruits) to the front of hubby's lined items. It was as if by doing so this person had claimed a spot (or as they say it in Malay, "Chop") in the front of hubby's. What? Other people were lining up too, man!

He said in Malay by way of explaining to my husband's incredulous look, "Saya satu barang je." (I have one item only)

As if those mere words would justify his sudden turn of rude behaviour.

My husband retorted "Kalau setengah barang pun kena beratur jugak" (Even if it's half an item, one still needs to queue)

After a few seconds of silence and as the cashier scanned his item, he made a shocker of all gestures - he showed my husband his cane. "Nampak ni?" (See this?) Supposedly, this was the cue for my husband to turn contrite and be sympathetic to the man, who looked like he was in his 40s.

Still unfazed, hubby replied back, "Tak kira lah bawak roda ke, kalau dah biadab biadab jugak" (It doesn't matter if it's wheels (as in wheelchairs), when one is rude, there is no two ways about it)

After that, he mumbled to himself right until the moment he disappeared from sight. Probably he was in disbelief that hubby didn't bite his 'bait'.

Let me clarify some things:

(1) My husband wouldn't have minded if the person cut his queue had he asked nicely. "Excuse me, I have only one item here, do you mind if I go first?" Or something like that.

(2) The cashier should have been stern and said No to him cutting queue, no matter what his physical condition was.

I was laughing out loud when he related the story to me in the car. The way the person hurled his plastic package full of fruits onto the running belt as if he was participating in some Telematch show and the fact he brandished the staff to get a "Get Out of Jail Free Card" is just as surreal as it is unbelievable.

Hubby now believes that common courtesy is almost non-existent, to which I wholeheartedly concur.

And right about then, a car zoomed abruptly from the right lane into our lane without signalling.

We rest our case.


* OKU - Orang Kurang Upaya - the politically-correct term in Malay for the handicapped and elderlies.

* OKS - Orang Kurang Sopan - my own version for rude, boorish people.

4 comments:

أم الليث said...

ahahaha good one!
here the "OKU" don't EXPECT help..in fact some of them get offended when we DO help (kes terbalik plak!) because it is a slur on their attempts to be independent. but like your husband said, "Tak kira lah bawak roda ke, kalau dah biadab biadab jugak".

Lee said...

Hi Theta, interesting post. Here I have experienced similar but otherwise.
Few times I had only one or two items in a supermarket and waiting behind someone loaded to the brim with groceries, and I get a smile and a, "you go ahead, you only two items". He or she sure got my smile and a big thank you.
But the cashiers here will not hesitate to tell someone off if cutting lineups.
Bus drivers especially...with new immigrants not experiencing lining up in their countries will be told diplomatically, "please wait in line". They sure learn fast.
But more and more we are experiencing rude behaviour on our roads from new drivers from other countries and of course those from here, they not signalling or cutting in.
But as our cops are very visible as well in unmarked cars, next thing they hear is a blast on the siren and a loud, "pull over"! $250 ticket for dangerous driving, no excuses accepted. They get very expensive lessons.
My wife and I on and off get a laugh at new China immigrants, father on a bicycle carrying wife behind, daughter infront and getting stopped by our cops, and language being a barrier, lots of hand gesticulating, but the father understands, he is now in Canada, ha ha.
But don't get me wrong, we too get our fair share of rude behaviour here, but I guess my 6'1", 195 pounds person tends to disuade anyone cutting me at supermarkets, ha ha.
You stay easy, Theta, and keep your humour, Lee.

Unknown said...

Hello Theta,

I think we need more guys like your hubby. Do not allow OKS to get away scott free!

Yes common courtesy is almost non existent here.

Only yesterday, I held the door for a bit for the next person behind me...yet again as usual silly me, the person walked past the door leaving me as the door-person to close behind me. I closed the door and I wondered why I was not shocked..ha ha!

Theta said...

Aliya,

I guess only in Malaysia, some people would use the OKU excuse to be rude. So much for public awareness!

Uncle Lee,

I know what you mean. People tend to bring their old habits and cultural influences when they move country. That's why some countries have those 'integration' programmes which are lauded, in my opinion.

As long as they don't ask us to dye our hair blonde and dress in a certain way! Hehe.

Ruby,

I know what you mean. Especially I'm always carrying a toddler, I'd appreciate if people would have the courtesy to hold the door for me. But most of the time, people are preoccupied in their own little world.

Where have our Eastern values gone to?