Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Long Weekend that was

It's been more than a week since my last entry. As a cop-out, I blame it on my cold, my daughter catching the same and the long weekend that I spent with my immediate family. Coupled with the monthly and an excruciating back ache, I was not in the proper frame of mind to write anything.

My back still hurts but the sniffles have, thank goodness, subsided. I'm also indebted to hubby for taking a long leave which provided a reprieve to my sickness.

We had originally planned for a beach getaway, as wont, for the extended holiday but Sadia's rising temperatures in the wee hours of Saturday morning upended that prospect.

Cancelling the reservation before the 24-hour deadline was up, we spent the days lounging at home, attending a potluck at my parents', and visiting our favourite haunts - malls galore.

As Sadia had slightly recovered from her cold by Sunday afternoon, we went on our inaugural Aquaria excursion on Monday's afternoon. On the whole, we were impressed by the exhibition and set-up of the place. The level of professionalism and thought put towards maintaining Aquaria as a tourist attraction is highly commendable.

Sadia in particular, kept bringing up the fact that she had patted a starfish and touched a baby shark (a small (and docile species of shark) which greeted us the moment we went through the turnstile. The open enclosures in the form of shallow man-made ponds also allow visitors a closer look of the sea/water creatures. Sadia was more than happy to see close-up one of her current favourite animals - the turtles.

The walkalator inside the deep water aquarium/tunnel-chamber, which hosts, amongst others, a shoal of Australian-flown sharks, was another nifty feature of Aquaria. It offers patrons to either hop on it for an uninterrupted viewing or hop off to the normal walkway in order to linger at a specific spot.

Except for a relatively limited number of exhibitions at hand (I was expecting penguins, et al), Aquaria didn't disappoint. Actually, we were glad for the short duration since Sadia was getting antsy towards the end. This should serve as a lesson to us not to bring her for an outing nearing her nap time.

All in all, it was a pleasant diversion from the usual mall jaunts.


In the tunnel towards Aquaria




Sadia in awe of the fishes



Watching the turtles; don't mind a bloated me :)


Hubby and Sadia inside the tunnel-chamber

2 comments:

Nour said...

I have never been to aquaria..oopss. It must have been fun ya..Sadia looks all grown up now..so comel with those huge eyes of hers :)

Theta said...

Nour,
It was a nice diversion from the usual fares that are available in KL, i.e., malls.

Next outing would be the zoo!

Haven't been there for 10 years! I sincerely hope it's been improved!