Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Meme: Music Repertoire


Ms. AZ Haida tagged me this meme about a week ago. Due to time constraints and lack of internet access back then, I couldn't comply as fast as I would have wanted to.

And you're right AZ, this meme is quite hard to do! 25 in a list! That's tedious, even for a detailed person like me.

However, with my propensity to be long-winded, I see it as a challenge and have rigorously applied myself to this monumental task while tweaking its rules at the same time. One, I vary the length of the lyrics and two, I provide helpful hints. Since I've cheated anyway at AZ's, I figure I might as well modify some of the requirements. ;-)

Here are the rules again:

"Shuffle your music.

* Take the first 25 songs that come up and post a line or two of lyrics from each one. Try not to make it too obvious by posting something from the middle of the chorus or that has the name of the song in it.

* Post it to your journal and let your friends try to guess the songs. No one likes a cheater, cheater pumpkin eater.

* When a song is correctly guessed, strike it out and put the title and artist next to it."


Oh yes, I don't mind if you do cheat - as long as you give me the right song and artist name. :)

Without further ado, these are the lyric snippets from some of my favourite songs:

  1. You helped me find the reasons why
    It took me by surprise that you understood
    (Hint: Mrs Ritchie, with two kids) (Artist: Madonna (Blabs/Zyrin)) (Song: Secret (Zyrin))


  2. If I dont need you then why am I crying on my bed?
    If I dont need you then why does your name resound in my head?
    (Circa 2003-2004, British male) (Artist: Daniel Bedingfield (AZ Haida/Nina)) (Song: If You're Not the One (AZ Haida))


  3. Lover's in love, and the other's run away,
    Lover is crying 'cause the other won't stay.
    (Bespectacled, pixie-like, American) (Artist: Lisa Loeb (Snafoo/Nina)) (Song: Stay (Snafoo/Nina))


  4. Over and over I fall
    When I hear you call
    Without you in my life, baby
    I just wouldn't be living at all
    (Disbanded Boy Band, one member 'came out' last year :) ) (Artist: N'Sync (AZ Haida)) (Song: This I Promise You (AZ Haida))


  5. I felt all flushed with fever, embarrassed by the crowd,
    I felt he found my letters and read each one out loud.
    (Diva, soulful, R&B) (Artist: Roberta Flack (Blabs)) (Song: Killing Me Softly (Blabs/Nina))


  6. I'm still recalling things you said to make me feel alright
    I carried them with me today, Now
    (Circa 1993-1994, ballad, American female, Damn!) (Artist: Sophie B.Hawkins (Adibah)) (Song: As I Lay Me Down (Adibah))


  7. I will not break the way you did
    You fell so hard
    I learned the hard way, to never let it get that far
    (AI winner (female)) (Artist: Kelly Clarkson (MamaSarah) (Song: Because of You (MamaSarah))


  8. Now you want to be free
    So I'll let you fly
    'Cause I know in my heart
    Our love will never die
    (Ex-Mrs Tommy Motolla) (Artist: Mariah Carey (AZ Haida/Zyrin)) (Song: Always Be My Baby (Zyrin))


  9. I just gotta get out of this prison cell
    Someday I`m gonna be free, Lord!
    (British male, remake from a 'Group' hit, also featured in Happy Feet) (Artist: George Michael featuring the Queens (Yiyik/MamaSarah)) (Song: Somebody to Love (Yiyik/MamaSarah))


  10. My heart is full of endless gratitude
    You were the one, the one to guide me through
    Now I can see and I believe
    It's only just beginning
    (AI winner too!(male)) (Artist: Taylor Hicks (MamaSarah/Nina)) (Song: Do I Make You Proud (Nina))


  11. Another dissident
    Take back your evidence
    It has no power to deceive
    (Alternative rock group (with Christian leaning)) (Artist: Live (Nina)) (Song: Heaven (Nina))


  12. I believe it's meant to be, darling
    I watch you when you are sleeping
    You belong with me
    (Late '80s, female group) (Artist: The Bangles (AZ Haida/Blabs) (Song: Eternal Flame (AZ Haida/Blabs))


  13. Now nothin' can take you away from me
    We've been down that road before
    But that's over now
    You keep me comin' back for more
    (Mid-80s, American male) (Artist: Bryan Adams (MamaSarah/Nina)) (Song: Heaven (Nina))


  14. Looking back as lovers go walking past
    All of my life
    Wondering how they met and what makes it last
    (Tootsie) (Artist: Stephen Bishop (Nina/Purple Cat)) (Song: It Might Be You (Nina/Purple Cat))


  15. I know that you are something special
    To you I'd be always faithful
    I want to be what you always needed
    Then I hope you'll see the heart in me
    (2005, Teenage appeal, Boyish, American) (Artist: Jesse McCartney (Nina)) (Song: Beautiful Soul (Nina))


  16. I'll love in the sunshine, lay you down in the warm, white sand.
    And who know, maybe this time, things wil turn out just the way you planned.
    (Mid-90s, sleepy hit, easy listening, male) (Artist: Joshua Kadison (Mint)) (Song: Jessie (Mint))


  17. Your eggs are over easy
    Your toast done lightly
    All that's missing is your morning kiss
    That used to greet me
    (Early 90s, Afro-American female) (Artist: Karyn White (Blabs/Nina)) (Song: Superwoman (Blabs/Nina))


  18. And the boys all look, but no, they can't touch
    But the girls want to know why the boys like us so much
    (Sampling a song from The Sound of Music) (Artist: Gwen Stefani (Nina)) (Song: Wind it Up (Adibah))


  19. In the silence of your room
    In the darkness of your dreams
    You must only think of me
    There can be no in between
    When your pride is on the floor
    I'll make you beg for more
    (Morbid, British female duo, early 90s, Song Title similar to one of the First 3 Songs in List) (Artist: Shakespeare Sisters (Zyrin)) (Song: Stay (Zyrin))


  20. Some find it in the face of their children
    Some find it in their lover's eyes
    Who can deny the joy it brings
    When you've found that special thing
    (British boy band, circa late 90s) (Artist: Westlife (AZ Haida/Nina)) (Song: Flying Without Wings (AZ Haida/Nina))


  21. And if I should falter would you open your arms to me?
    We can make love not war and live at peace with our hearts

    I'm so in love with you
    I'll be forever blue
    What religion or reason could drive a man to forsake his lover?
    (British male duo, pop, early 90s) (Artist: Erasure (Purple Cat)) (Song: A Little Respect (Purple Cat))


  22. If this world makes you crazy
    And you've taken all you can bear
    You call me up
    Because you know i'll be there
    (Eccentric, Crazy Hair, American female, mid 80s) (Artist: Cyndi Lauper (Zyrin)) (Song: True Colors (Zyrin))


  23. Oh love I've been searching so long
    Ive been searching high and low
    A little love is all I ask - a little sadness
    When you're gone
    (Old, but still good looking, British male, once a teenage idol in the 60s) (Artist: Sir Cliff Richard (Purple Cat/Nina)) (Song: Ocean Deep (Purple Cat))


  24. I was going down for the third time
    My heart was broken, I was not open to your suggestions
    I had so many questions
    That you just kissed away
    (British male, gay, circa 2003-2004) (Artist: George Michael (MamaSarah)) (Song: Amazing (MamaSarah))


  25. Ku tahu kau tak pernah setia (kasih)
    Ku tahu diriku tak bererti
    (Malay female, with luscious, full lips, strong vocal chord) (Artist: Ning Baizura (Nina/Zyrin)) (Song: Selagi Ada...(Cinta) (Zyrin))



Let's get cracking on these lyrics and duly inform me of the answers!!!

I hereby tag anyone who would like to undertake this meme.

note: comics taken from here and here respectively.

22 comments:

A.Z. Haida said...

#2 Daniel Bedingfield, "If You're Not The One"
#4 N Sync, "This I Promise You"
#12 The Bangles,"Eternal Flame"
#20 Westlife, "Flying Without WIngs"

That's all I could think of right away - but thanks to your hints, i know Mariah Carey and Paul McCartney form part of the list...

Blabarella said...

#1 - The reinventing queen, Madonna - but dunno what song (guessed from hints!)
#5 - The diva Roberta Flack - Killing Me Softly
#12 - Bangles - Eternal Flame
#13 - This one is just SO friggin' familiar, I could bite my tongue off in frustration!!
#17 - Karyn White - Superwoman!!

There, I'm quite happy with myself now. :)

Blabarella said...

Ooops, just saw that AZ got #12 already. Which means I only guessed 2.5 right (Madonna being just 0.5 of an answer). Not so happy with myself now.

Snafoo said...

#3: Lisa Loeb --> Stay

Mama Sarah said...

dear blabarella:

no.13 is bryan adams right?

i'll just attempt no.9: The Queen Somebody to love. (although i dont mind george michael's version in tribute to F.Mercury)

The Purple Cat said...

# 21 - "A Little Respect" by the British duo, Erasure.

The Purple Cat said...

#23 - "Ocean Deep" by Cliff Richard.

Wahh...ni lagu jiwang-jiwang..haha..oh, memories..

The song and the artist: both old, but evergreen :)

The Purple Cat said...

#14 is another old song, also in the jiwang category..haha..

Its:
"It Might Be You" by Stephen Bishop.

Theta said...

Dear ALL,
I'm compiling answers from both my Blogspot and Multiply sites.
Also, I've added some more hints so that the metaphorical flashbulb inside your head would lit up.
Thanks for being a sport and participate! =)
-----------------------------
AZ Haida,

All Your Guesses are correct. And No.8 is indeed Mariah Carey. I give partial credit where partial credit is due ;-)

No Paul McCartney though...

Blabs,
Correcto Mundo! Madonna gets 0.5 mark as well!
You get 100 marks for being a great sport! =D

Theta said...

Snafooo,
Yup! I'm glad someone still remembers her phenomenal song!

MamaSarah,
(and Blabs) Bryan Adams and Heaven is the song title. And my twin was quick to correct that he's actually Canadian.

George Michael's rendition was what I was looking for. Great guess! :)

Theta said...

Purple Cat,
Yes! yes! yes!

I'm impressed that you know Erasure's. Love that song to bits!

Yes, I have my jiwang moments and appreciate evergreen songs.

You're a Tootsie fan too? ;)

Mama Sarah said...

I thought lots of your friends will be guessing no.7 - because of you, kelly clarkson (kan?)

no.24 - has to be George Michael. We've been listening to him loads in our car journeys. Title don't know :(

Bijoy said...

Hello, i just surfed in searching for interesting blogs on new seven wonders of the world, you have a cool blog. Do keep up the good work. i live far from where you are and its nice to be able to see what people from across the world thinks.

Warm Regards from the Other Side of the Moon.

On a related note perhaps you might find the following links interesting. we're reviewing the best among the competing 21 participants for the new 7 wonders competition. i'll like to hear your take on the subject via comments. i'll be back soon...

The Kremlin and the Red Square
Angkor Wat
Eiffel Tower
Hagia Sophia

ps. if you have your own favourites list or if you'd like us to write about other wonders pls do mention about it in the comments.

Bibby

Kerala, India

Theta said...

MamaSarah,
Most of said friends are not attuned (pun intended) to the song lyrics, I reckon. Only if one really likes a song, one would commit its lyric to memory, doncha agree?

You're right again.....

Biby Cletus,
Thanks for dropping by here, and incidentally plugging your interesting blog in turn ;-)

Will try to give some input after I peruse through your list!

Have a good day!

Mama Sarah said...

i came here several times to find the answers.

can i take a guess at no.10 - it could either be taylor hicks or ruben. I guess it's taylor hicks though.

Theta said...

MamaSarah,
You're right. Taylor Hicks sang this song. His first hit. Can you name me that song?

So far, I've 10 correct. And some partials. Can you name me Number 24, George Michael's song? Maybe your hubby knows? :)

Hope to complete this meme soon.

Else, I post the answers in an upcoming blog!

Mama Sarah said...

hihi.. hubby says "amazing"

Theta said...

Yes! That's right. Is he a big George Michael fan too? :)

zyrin said...

hah! i'm guessing...

1. Secret - Madonna (err... err... betul, ke?)

8. Always Be My Baby - Mariah Carey

19. Stay - Shakespeare's Sisters <-- I *think* that's what they're called!

22. True Colors - Cyndi Lauper

25. Selagi Ada - Ning Baizura

Theta said...

Zyrin,
Thanks for dropping by and making CORRECT guesses!

4 more to go!.... ;-)

Anonymous said...

#16 joshua kadison, jesse

Theta said...

Correct dear! One more to go! :D