Wednesday, June 06, 2007

A Frolicking Farewell for a Fortnight

(bet you can't say that fast enough in rapid succession?)

This weekend marks the starts of another two-week intensive session for my husband's Masters programme. The last one was in *uurgghhh* Groningen.

Unlike the last session, we will be in the familiar territory of Den Haag! Yippee! Our weekend playground. Our favourite haunt.

And I found out two days ago that the hotel to which we are staying is within walking distance to Centrum, the shopping arcade of Den Haag. Most importantly, from the hotel's website, I relished the fact that each room is Wi-Fi-equipped! At last, a total turnaround from the archaic services at the Groningen hotel. It'd better be - being in Den Haag AND the height of summer season. And the room rate is higher compared to the other places owing to those two facts.

Logistics aside, we have to bear in mind Sadia's welfare where food and recretional outlet are concerned. As far as personality goes, Sadia is a bona fide homebody. She craves familiarity and whenever we venture outside of Delft during our free days, she will get antsy if we were to protract the outing beyond her level of comfort. Of course, the aforesaid comfort level sways according to her royal highness' mood.

That's my Sadia for you. One minute she can make my heart aflutter, and in the next, she can melt my heart by calling me 'Mama' in repetitive succession.

Despite these worries, my husband and I are excited that Den Haag was chosen for this last session and not Scheveningen, a seaside town, as originally planned. Due to the nightmare, err, I mean encumbrances - distance from restaurants, shops and other amenities - faced whilst hosting the Masters students in Groningen and the possibility of history repeating itself in Scheveningen, the administration decided to change the venue to Den Haag. A wise move, I might add.

Also, Den Haag's close proximity to Delft means we are able to go back during the first weekend, do some laundry and change for a new set of clothes! How lovely.

I might want to check out the local attractions like Het Binnenhof, the Peace Palace, Gemeentemuseum, so on and so forth.

If I'm less ambitious, I'd just cosy up in a cafe with a relaxing ambience and catch up with my fictional readings. Provided Sadia is fast asleep in her stroller and out of my hair!

Till then, I'll be blogging next from Den Haag, by hook or by crook!

p.s. there's a Food Fair at the Malaysia Embassy in Den Haag this weekend - Saturday and Sunday from 12 pm to 6 pm. I wonder if Malaysians get to eat for free. Wishful thinking!

6 comments:

Mama Sarah said...

how exciting! looking fwd to your next entry. let's see if you'd get your relaxing stroll with sleeping little highness.

Theta said...

Hehe, thanks MamaSarah. I hope so too.
Den Haag here we come!

simah said...

artistic betul ur hunny's hat... reminds me of french people's painters :0)

should i say have fun there or should i wish u good luck?

still enjoy ur time there!.. n dont forget to update ur blog ... esp ur princess' reaction :0)

take care...

Snafoo said...

hehe.. i like the 2nd photo (sadia & u). She looks like she has something mischievous planned :) Hope u guys have loads of fun in Den Haag. E-N-V-I-O-U-S.

ZazaHardy said...

you'll love den haag. see you at the embassy tomorrow, insyaallah! (no, we dont get to eat for free, bring lots of money! and be very selective in the food you buy, some might dissapoint!) but you'll surely have a good time seeing the malaysians!

Zaza

Theta said...

Simah dear,
Funny you said that - the cap was bought in Paris! :)

I'll take BOTH please - good luck and a dollop of fun!

Snafooo,
Yes, she always have something up her sleeves! Thanks. Den Haag is as cosmopolitan as the Netherlands can get...er, save for Rotterdam's skyline.

Zaza,
Okay, will stick with nasi kerabu! Also, those stalls (or tables) getting swarmed is a good indicator to go by ;)