Monday, March 05, 2007

Tick-tock, tick-tock


Browsing through my favourite online newspaper, The New York Times, I stumbled on this enlightening article which centers on a series of scientific findings that males, like the female counterparts, have a biological clock.

On a cellular level, the research highlights that, in a man's lifetime, the cells that produce the sperm go through a continuous process of dividing and replicating that "by the time a man reaches 50, the cells that create his sperm have gone through more than 800 rounds of division and replication." Such vigorous, clockwork-like division and replication is bound to cause a likelihood of an error occuring.

“It’s like a light-bulb factory,”.....“You can manufacture a billion light bulbs, but some fraction are going to be impaired. When you’re manufacturing something so frequently, in such large quantities, the chances of an error are very high.”

The most shocking genetic correlation with respect to aging fathers revolves on autism and schizophrenia where studies have concluded that a biological mechanism accounts for the higher incidence of these disorders in offsprings of aging fathers.

Skeptics notwithstanding, this discovery proves to be a milestone, both on the cultural and medical front, since it is instrumental in dispelling the current long-standing perception that a woman's biological clock is, by default, the culprit behind the failure to conceive.

In almost every corner of the globe, it is a societal norm to point the fingers to the female half of a partnertship when things are awry in the 'production' department. The onslaught of callous remarks and nosy questions which prevail thereafter can be more than a person is willing to hear. Granted, they can be well-meaning but in a delicate situation such as reproduction, I believe it is better to 'butt out' before you're given the greenlight to 'butt in'.

Compared to the average Malay woman, I got married quite late. As such, I did harbor some misgivings over my tick-tocking biological clock. In fact, having a baby was high in my priority due to the skewed generalisation that hinges on women's fertility levelling off at a certain age. After experiencing much distress, an epiphany hit me - I should just leave it to God AlMighty. I mean, following all efforts possible, I have to 'redha' (readily accept with faith) with His answers. After all, He's All-Knowing what is best for His servants. The Truth set me free!

So when this article came to my attention, I was more than relieved to jettison the old-age idea that a woman must be married by so-and-so age lest she'd imperil her maternal chances, thus going over her 'sell-by-date'! That a woman's worth (or marriageability) rests heavily on her biological make-up, is culturally ingrained in today's society. So much so that some women are on their toes to risk everything and anything in order to become pregnant.

As quoted in the article, this new evidence will help to "level the playing field between men and women in the premarital dating game." I couldn't agree more.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"misleading information on women's fertility levelling off at a certain age"

is it misleading? it's sort of true when u think that as we age, the number of eggs decrease, therefore indirectly, it does impact on fertility.

i think the main concern of having children quite late is because of the high risks of developing complications. our eggs are as old as we are.

but like wealth, offspring is also "rezeki". we can work for it but Allah decides what we get and when we get it.

it is unfair that females get blamed if a couple is childless. the fault could easily be the male as well. or it could be both (my tutor once said a childless couple came to a fertility clinic bcoz they had tried for a baby for so long...turns out they were doing it the wrong way!!)

Theta said...

I'm sorry...perhaps 'misleading' a wrong choice of word...What I was trying to say is the 'skewed perception 'that women will conveniently be 'the default reason' why a couple fails to have a baby....
I'll now change 'information' to 'generalisation' :)

Blabarella said...

I'm not young anymore - crossing 35 this November, and still trying for my first one. But I made it very clear to hubs that we just do it the way God intended and leave it to Him to decide if our rezeki includes child. Of course age is somewhat against me, but again, like you said, just redha - there must be a reason why we didn't have kids earlier. Yes, I do get upset sometimes when the time of month comes and I know it 'didn't happen', but I won't dwell. A lot of women do, and that's when all this 'skewed info' filters in, whether by herself or other non-helpfuls. I'm quick to 'shush' those that even remotely try to hint about why we left it till so late. There's a reason for everything, kan? Allah knows best.

Theta said...

I believe very much so that there's always a reason for everything.
Like my only brother, who was diagnosed with kidney failure at a tender age of 24. He's so young, full of potential, the 'alim' one, and can be seen always at the neighborhood surau for 'solat jemaah'.
He's now on dialysis and has come to terms with this dependence.
Like the familiar refrain from this Malay, albeit cheesy, song - Kita mampu merancang, hanya Tuhan menentukan, Tak perlu dikesahkan...
Just make the most out of our one life on earth!