Friday, March 23, 2007

Addendum to The Constant Worrywart


Due to a constructive criticism levelled at the aforementioned post, it behooves me to clarify my random rambling on this 'worrying' subject. The sudden interest in this worrier matter was wholly sparked by my reflection of the years gone by. More importantly, taking stock of those pivotal moments, milestones, and phenomenal events which have caused me to move some goalposts and rearrange my priorities. What have I achieved so far, what causes me to sidetrack, what hinders my progress?

Since I wasn't forthcoming previously about the factors behind my incessant worrying, it's now apropos to lay the cards on the table. In psycho-babble, I attribute my hang-ups to a combination of genetic make-up and external triggers. Still vague? Allow me to elaborate.

Through my keen childhood perception, I can tell that my mother has her worrywart moments. I must've gotten the worrybug from her then since my dad's easygoing mannerism failed to imprint a similar trait on me. As my mother grows older, she has learnt to let go of things that are beyond her control. Perhaps, her reprimanding my behaviour was due in part to that 'familiarity breeds contempt'. She means well, like all biological mothers do.

As for the environmentally-induced causes, they range from the earth-shattering news to conflicts of a personal nature. For instance, possible separation with a loved one owing to an anticipated job placement overseas. Or, hoodwinked into attending a collegiate get-together which entails a BYOB (Bring-Your-Own-Beer) party.

Of course, there are numerous other examples which have besieged me throughout my 30-odd years. Looking back, I could easily fall by the wayside and consequently turn into this bitter, untrusting, cynical monster.

Alas, what doesn't break you, makes you stronger is a great mantra to live by every single day. I am learning, albeit slowly, to let bygones, by bygones and go on with the show. Yes, I was hurt by those who couldn't fathom the extent of damage done. But, by harboring continued resentment towards them clueless and callous ones only detract from letting go and reaching closure.

To sum it up, harping on immaterial issues is a result of genetic manipulation (cop-out!) and exposure to a series of unfortunate events (double cop-out!). Yet, that is the truth and I've sworn to tell the truth and nothing but the truth (in the style of the over-excited and overbite Tom Cruise in A Few Good Men).

For an online test to measure your level of worrywart-ness, please click here.

Comic credits taken from here and here.

No comments: