Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Pulling the Wool Over Thy Eyes

Disclaimer: the demographic in question applies to a significant number of adolescents residing in big cities of Malaysia, like KL and Penang


I must have lapsed into temporary madness when I find myself agreeing and following the simplistic logic of some teenage acquaintances. Either that, or the synapses in my cerebral cortex appear to be modulating at a slower rate shortly after giving birth. Alas, it is easier to blame mental incapacitation than to own up that it was a classic case of 'cannot see the forest for the trees.' I indeed had failed to see the big picture.

What am I rambling about? Have I flummoxed you thus far?

The whole matter arose when it came to my knowledge that someone was heading out to college to pursue his or her studies (Alright, for all intents and purposes, I shall from thereon use the male pronoun to refer to said person). He later expressed his reservations and concerns having to room with some random strangers in one room. Used to having his own space and privacy in one bedroom, the change of living setting in a college must take some time getting adjusted to.

I gather that was what that bothered him most. I later discovered he had secretly wished for wealthy roommates to bunk with. I quickly jumped to the obvious conclusion that he'd find it easier to live with people that could treat him. In other words, take advantage of the person's fortune and connection.

While I was roiling against what looks like a low, materialistic tactic, I was quickly shot down by the person's friend who volunteered his (or her) logic to the situation. In a deadpan manner, he explained that his friend would prefer to room with rich colleagues than with poor ones since he's afraid the poor student will end up stealing his stuff, out of jealousy and envy!

I mulled over and considered this relatively coherent answer and finally assented to a semblance of truth that it holds. Truth be told, I felt something was still amiss despite caving in to the reason stated by a teenager.

I don't mind listening to a teenager's point of view since I firmly believe age is not a barometer of a person's intellect. Or maturity, for that matter. Moreover, this prodigious adolescent might have a point or two. Needless to say, I was again hasty in my judgment.

However, compelled by the gnawing feeling that his logic is flawed, I conferred with my husband who immediately put the matter in crystal clear perspective. "Why does the person thinks rich people are nicer than poor?" "For all we know, the person could learn a lesson in humility and unconditional kindness from a person of poor background?"

That's it! I was hoodwinked into believing that the poor will ALWAYS want to steal from the rich. This generalisation is sweeping and so far-reaching that I couldn't look past the stereotypes. I was ashamed of myself and chiefly, of my shallow thinking.

Yes, the person blessed with the wherewithal might have it all, but does he or she have a flourishing behaviour to match? The wealthy kid might turn out to be mean or use his affluent position to manipulate others to do his bidding.

The incident confirmed my suspicion that a glaring number of today's Malaysian teenagers places higher values on superficial and materalistic needs. It is a cause for alarm if you want to impede the continued and rapid moral decline of Malaysian teenagers. As reported in the youth online webzine The Cicak:

A poll initiated by the Malaysian AIDS Council (MAC) earlier last year involving 191 youths showed 66 percent of those between 16 and 21 disclosed they had friends who were engaging in casual sex. Yet only seven percent of this number admitted to having sex with their partners.

Yet, I have to admit the lack of proper sex education in school and general taboo of this subject matter also exarcerbate and fuel the rampant growth in teenage pregnancy cases.

The prevailing decadence both on the moral and ethical front does not augur well for our future generations, especially in terms of quality of life and overall sense of communal living.

As a fellow fledgling mother, I undeniably espouse the curative powers of and the holistic approach to parenting and its vital role in moulding a well-rounded, decent human-being. That, coupled with our constant prayers to God Almighty for the best for our children.

No comments: