Thursday, December 29, 2005

Will the Real Tita Please Stand up?

A fortnight ago, I was trying to find 'hits' on Google for "Tita (pronounce "Tee-tuh") and Blog".

For my own self-immersion and vanity, if you like.

And I found another Tita with her own blog and she's Indonesian! More or less from the same region.

I was thrilled! It's so difficult to find another person with the same namesake (at least in nickname).

I have yet to find a girl with the same namesake in Malaysia.

A close friend of mine, Amy, did tell me that Tita means 'Uncle' in Tagalog. I don't know how true that is.

And I'm sure there are countless Tita in the Spanish-speaking world. At least, from my own research deduction over the Internet.

Tita appears in many Spanish-related words, it seems.

Maybe it does mean Uncle in Spanish AND Tagalog (since Filipino or Philippines was once a Spain colony).

Back to my great discovery, I was curious to find out about another Tita and wrote her a message via her blog.

And she replied. And what was more surreal is that she is studying in the same town that my husband will be going to. Delft!

She is also married with two kids - a boy and a girl.

Wow, that got me floored! A Tita in Delft? That was funny AND exciting.

Through our correspondences, I got to know a local's perspective about living in Holland (since she has been there for quite some time) and more importantly, about inoculation and other medical benefits for my soon-to-arrive bundle of joy.

It did aid in allaying my concerns over the medical coverage.

A few missives later, we have both agreed to meet up. I do hope we get the chance to.

It would be strange meeting a total stranger with whom I didn't get a first-person introduction.

But a Tita will always make sure the other person feels that she is at home with her company.

Isn't that right, Tita?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right on, Tita!

I hope so, too, that we can meet soon. I will finally know how it feels to call out my own name to someone else :)