Wednesday, December 07, 2005

River by the moonlit


"Moon River" music by Henry Mancini, lyrics by Johnny Mercer

Moon River, wider than a mile, I'm crossing you in style some day.
Oh, dream maker, you heart breaker, wherever you're going I'm going your way.
Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see.
We're after the same rainbow's end-- waiting 'round the bend, my huckleberry friend,
Moon River and me
.

Moon River is one of my favourite songs in the world! Nevertheless a short song, it has both emotional heft and depth and carries with it some of my memorable romantic anecdotes.

Originated as a soundtrack for the movie "Breakfast of Tiffany's, the song encapsulates a pivotal moment in the lives of two lovers living under the same roof of an apartment-like complex.

Audrey Hepburn, in her tour-de-force performance, fits like a glove in this impressionable role. Her gamine look and puckish smile convey a very likeable persona, both on and off the screen. She is indeed a great actress, at least in my book, nonpareil with today's choice of transitory actresses.

And to my huckleberry friend, wherever you are today (or is it tonight where you are?), you're always in my prayers and thoughts.

No comments: