Thursday, December 11, 2008

Pregnancy Journal 1

According to the gynae and if the calculation is correct, I should be in my 12 weeks this week. My stomach has ballooned to a noticeable bump and caused most of my current pair of pants to stay on the racks. I am lucky to have sisters - three of them - , who have accumulated an array of maternity wardrobe between them, to borrow from.

I have seen my gynae twice ever since I got the referral letter from the neighbourhood clinic. Both encounters have so far been pleasant aside from the very long wait (two hours!) to go into his office. You see, my ever popular gynae, takes emergency cases first and this pushes forward other patients who are civilised (or clueless?) enough to sign on the appointment list. The first time where I couldn't get an appointment due to the long waiting list and had to wait for a free slot - two hours plus - was forgivable, but the second time - on an appointment - was something I had to get used to. It was exasperating to say the least. I didn't have to go through such a long haul with the first gynae.

I changed gynae from the previous one because I find my personality conflicted with that of the latter. Although I have to wait for this new gynae - hopefully subsequent visits would get better, time-wise but I wouldn't bet on it - I am glad this gynae is more patient and jovial than the other one. Each to his own, I believe.

My bouts of nausea - without vomitting - have so far tapered off with a lingering fatigue usually in either late afternoon or evening. Headaches are the order of the day as I have trouble falling asleep every so often due to frequent trips to the toilet late in the night. I am also extra klutzy nowadays and have become more forgetful. Recently, I lost my house keys as I could not at all recall the last time I saw them.

As far as cravings go, my recurring favourite, for some strange reason, is sambal ikan kembung (mackerel). I must have it every day if I could. Alas, it narrows down to once a week. Ironically, my first culinary love, chicken has reverted to a puppy-love state as I halfheartedly eat my way through most poultry dishes. I cannot even stomach the good old-fashioned, greasy fried chicken that I am so crazy about! My husband quipped that I am fowl-averse for this pregnancy as opposed to being coffee-averse (I couldn't even smell the blasted thing) during the first time.

Already ticked off my craving list are DELIcious creamy carrot cake, baked potatoes, Chillis Nachos and Triple Play and bubur kacang (mung bean dessert). I have yet to get my hot piping banana fritters (pisang goreng). You know the traditional crispy ones dipped in a mixture of air kapur (limewater) and flour batter.

The euphoria of having a child the second time around might not match the experience one gets the first time, but I still become teary-eyed whenever I see the lil one and his or her corresponding heartbeat on the nifty ultrasound. I feel truly blessed with His munificence.

Sadia, a few hours old

The worrywart that I am, I am concerned about the dynamic of my relationship with Sadia once another baby enters the picture. She now knows there is a baby in mommy's tummy and at one point screamed at my stomach "Hello, anybody in there?!" I also notice she has grown more attached to her 'baby doll' named Caroline (or Caroleen in French since we got it as a Christmas present from the French hotel we stayed in during hubby's two-week course) and always insists on bringing it everywhere. Sometimes she feeds her the toy bottle and even talks to her. Is it her way of getting used to a sibling, I wonder?

With Caroleen in Kampung Bahru during the recent Raya Haji

That aside, my husband and I agree that time flies so fast this time around. After December, it will be six more months until the stork comes for a visit. God willing. Until then, we will be making some changes on the domestic front - physically and emotionally.


(From onwards, this journal will be posted on as-and-when basis)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

theta, congratulations for the second pregnancy! insyaallah, baby will be just as healthy as Sadia.