Saturday, January 05, 2008

Regrets, Do You Have Any?


A close girlfriend recently disclosed that she had broken up with her boyfriend of two years *. Couples go their separate ways all the time but what sets her case apart from the rest is the gravity of the situation.

She had quitted her job to be with him in the country where he had grown up. They had even met her parents during the previous year's Christmas, which as far as foregone conclusions go, indicates their commitment and love for one another. What went wrong, you'd ask?

Somehow she discovered while she was staying in his country that he is gay. Flummoxed? I am not privy to the nitty-gritty of how and what transpired for her to arrive at this juncture but what I know is that she's back in her country, nursing a mangled heart without any money or job. My dearest friend, my every being goes out to you.

Like her, the overanalytical me would start examining what went wrong. At which particular crossroad did the relationship swerve from its right (or if you must, straight) course? What if she finds out earlier? Would her career be salvaged and her peace of mind healed much quicker? Surely, if she has made the 'right' move, she'd be much happier. Or would she?

I sense the crux of the matter lies in coming to terms with the choices that one will later revisit in the future. Would I be much better off now if I didn't face this problem? Essentially, would a different fork in the road earn a higher happiness quotient?

With a new year on my mind, the theme on past choices and the underlying regrets resurfaced when I came upon this incisive article of similar topic. At a glance, it may look that the author is regurgitating facts that are as commonplace as the little black dress. However, upon close inspection, he proffered a more complete picture to this excess baggage problem, specifically as to why it affects and weighs down some people more than others. This fixation on 'lost possible selves' arises from our varied personality types and how we go about controlling the lingering wisp of regrets.

...Yet it is partly from studies of lost possible selves that psychologists have come to a more complete understanding of how regret molds personality. These studies, in people recently divorced and those caring for a sick child, among others, suggest that it is possible to entertain idealized versions of oneself without being mocked or shamed. And they suggest that doing so may serve an important psychological purpose.

The research also concludes that age is another crucial, determining factor which colours one's perception of life choices.
With age, people apparently detoxified their regrets by reframing them as shared misunderstandings, a retrospective touching-up that in many cases might have been more accurate.

Putting it differently, the ability to rein in one's emotions over previous choices - called 'complexity' - generally corresponds well with aging.
Complexity reflects an ability to incorporate various points of view into a recollection, to vividly describe the circumstances, context and other dimensions. It is the sort of trait that would probably get you killed instantly in a firefight; but in the mental war of attrition through middle age and after, its value only increases.

It echoes our level of maturity in the way of revealing, albeit through a painful process of 'elimination', what really works to make us a better and happier person. Lessons well-learnt, a silver lining's up there, the relapsing optimist in me believe.

Like any other, I have my share of regrets for the choices I had made in the past. Would I be better off working in the XXX? Why didn't I take that offer? Why didn't I tell her off? Yet, when I reexamined this so-called bad choice further, I realise that I'd not be where I am today if it were not for that supposed misstep. For all I know, even the slightest move from that chosen path would have grave consequences!

In Islam, we believe in the concept of qada' and qadar (predestination), which encompasses, among others, that only God has the exclusive knowledge of our respective 'final' destiny, our deeds work towards changing our ever dynamic destiny and that our supplication helps in averting disaster. Therefore, for us to reap the rewards of an eternal happiness with Him, we must remember Allah for all seasons. "... it must also be realised that Allah is not to be visited only when in need, just like a person who uses a toilet (in an emergency). If you remember Allah, Allah will always remember you."

In a broader sense, as long as we strive to do better and improve ourselves, we won't have time to toy with the ideas of second chances, the existence of parallel universe or worse, doppelgänger. We are too busy having a life and being grateful for what we have.

As for my friend, I may have been dumbstruck when you dropped the news on me. Despite wanting to spare you the cliches that you loathe to hear, I'll take the risk anyway and quote a corny line: It's no use crying over spilled milk. When left unattended, in a few days, the milk will emit the foulest of smells. So, instead of letting the odour permeate your space, why don't you wipe the surface clean and buy a new bottle/carton of milk?

Take great care my kindred spirit.

* About three years if you count the not-so-serious phase.

9 comments:

Nour said...

**speechless** how can he be gay?? Was it only after 2 years?? or was he gay from day one...oh gosh! she must be devastated..but I guess it is better to know rather tahn later. And u are right, tough it may be, she has to accept it and move on.

Anonymous said...

You sent me deep into thoughts. Just like you, I tend to over-analyse everything.

Spena said...

Tell your friend she is still lucky as she's not married yet to this guy. I know somebody who was married to a 'gentleman' only to confirm after 2 years of marriage that he is gay. He did not touch her at all!

Lee said...

Hello Theta, wow! One of the first times I did not speed read, but read every line.
But my mind now wondering how come she found out about his 'other side' only after being with him for some time?
I recently did a post about a friend's interest in a woman. He gone gaga over her. But fortunately being a kaypoh, sometimes, I found out she's gay.
And had to break the news to him. Sure broke his heart into 5 pieces.
There are ways of discreetly finding out whether she or he is gay.
But anyway, regret to read of your friend's situation.
Its tough, but her wounds will heal with time, though the scar might remain. Fortunately she has your shoulders.
You keep well, Theta. By the way, if free, pop over for coffee. UL.

Theta said...

Nour,
I actually don't know the specifics. Just that she found out he's gay and was crushed.
Maybe he's gay but was hiding the fact or trying to fight the call to the other side.
These are just theories though. Many other things could have come into the equation.

I agree it's better to know now rather than later, like when she's at altar!

Elviza,
Thanks for dropping by. Sometimes I overanalyse much to my detriment. My mom, twin and hubby can attest to that. :)

Theta said...

Spena,
Yeah, I guess things like that are becoming more common now in today's societies.
How about those 'celebrities' that bear children through marriage only to come out of the closet years later?

Uncle Lee,
At one time or another, they're having a long distance relationship due to her work in another country. Probably that'd explain why.

So what are your subtle tips to find out a person's orientation? And what if that person is bisexual? You can never know at the first meeting right?

Thanks for reading every line, Uncle Lee. I do read yours word for word....every single one of them. ;)

Cosmic_GurL said...

Im sure she saw the signs but somehow didnt wanna acknowledge it. Sometimes when you love someone so much u just refuse to see his flaws or refuse to believe the truth that is in front of you but instead believe what u want to believe.

I too had made that mistake once. My heart goes out to your friend. Betrayal is indeed hard to swallow. In time, she will recover and be okay.

Lady Gargle said...

Hmm...wasn't there any signs that he might be...gay? I mean when you are a couple, you do a lot of couple things together..

Well things happened for a reason. Big hug to your friend. But I guess it's better to know now then later.

Theta said...

CosmicGurl,
As the saying goes, "Love is blind" which probably explains why she didn't pick up on any hints. Sigh, I know it takes time to heal but knowing her, I believe she'll bounce back somehow.

Frankensteina,
I'm not sure whether she neglected to heed the signs or that she's simply out of tune with them.

The truth hurts, I know. Yet, looking back she'd remember that she was so happy at that moment in time, regardless of the final outcome.