Friday, December 07, 2007

Rub-a-dub-dub Right, Rub-a-dub-dub Wrong


Do you ever have that feeling that you just don't like someone solely based on your interaction(s) with that person? I mean, for some reason or another, this person just rubs you the wrong way?

You initially thought it was an one-off feeling - that probably you were having a bad day and consequently issued a bad judgment call on that person. Or you felt you're being hard on that person and should cut him or her some slack. However, upon repeated encounters and/or exposures to that particular someone you are certain that it's not just a coincidence that your defense mechanism goes up whenever the person is within your radar.

Do you believe that a person simply rubs you the wrong way, figuratively speaking? Regardless of how popular he or she is with the others, how your friends seem to get along well with him or her, or how good he or she is at something, this person just grates you so no matter what.

Well, as you can as much guess, I fervently believe in such a circumstance.

Granted, one does not expect that everyone to like him or her all of the time. Yet, while it might appear inconceivable that a person might not like you, disliking you ALL of the time clearly demonstrates the inherent existence of bad blood.

Don't be despair though. Most of the times, I think the feelings that the two affected parties are harbouring are completely mutual. There is no use fighting it because, like it or not, there seem to be inexplicable, higher forces at work which induce one to repel the other.

Save for the clueless few, I am positive that nearly everyone has his or her share of being rubbed the wrong way. Below are some of my hallmark moments:


  1. I am sadly aversive to moody people. I know, I know - I shouldn't take it to heart when another is having a bad day, a headache and all the (im)possible permutations. But it's another thing when you have to tiptoe around their moodswings lest you should say something hurtful. Let me correct that, something that is construed as hurtful to the other (moody) person.

    This situation is annoying especially when you haven't met the other person for some time and wanted to catch up with him or her. Another correction: you unwittingly agreed, for old time's sake, to catch up with this person since another nice friend invited you to come along in the first place. Try as you may to be yourself, you can't help it that you almost always catch the person when she or he is in a funk. Your attempt to lighten up the moment is invariably doused by either a curt one-liner or a furrowed forehead which follows by a sour countenance. I'd gladly be some place else than to entertain the erratic behaviour of someone who doesn't appreciate my company in the first place.

    Perhaps, it is written in the stars. You can't get along with so-and-so. So why continue to subject yourself to this abuse?


  2. Another pet peeve is one-upmanship. You know the practice by which you like to outdo another person whom you perceive in some ambiguous way, a rival. Whilst the competitive field might vary, the method of 'showing off' is similar and familiar.

    For instance, when you are talking about a planned vacation to another person, she would somehow manage to disrupt your train of thought and end up talking about her seemingly more glamorous holiday plan. Usually this person would deride your choices and proclaim hers - whatever it may be - to be the best or wisest option.

    You possibly get my drift - all the things you would want to share would be either brushed aside for her more fantastic tales or ridiculed for appearing/coming below par to her supposedly exquisite taste. The truth is she is not sincerely interested in your life. She is just waiting for the opportune time to show off her 'assets' and vindicate her worth whenever such an occasion arises. It is all about her, you see.

    These kind of people revel in their upmanship prowess, so much so it is a sport to them. Under a different category, they are a self-absorbed lot who thrive on the gullible few whom can feed their ego.


  3. Lastly, an attitude that gets my goat is none other than a Mr/Ms-Know-It-All. Occasionally with a dash of Holier-than-thou persona thrown in. You know the type of person who proudly announces his number of years of experience in a specific field, a method which he hopes, among others, to strike fear in the heart of his enemies, known or otherwise. Also, he is confident that this proclamation alone would impede a noble novice from questioning and undermining his authority. He would prefer to rest on his laurels than have anyone engage him in a lively discussion which most probably discloses the fraud that he is.

    A variant of this kind features those 'I-have-seen-and-travelled-the-world-and-know-how-people-work-so-just-shut-up-and-listen-to-my-gospel-truth' who refuse to hear the other's side of the story. They relish in shooting you down, no matter what your argument is because they apparently know better than the rest of less exposed/cultured folks. For all they know, the different perspective the other offered can be both refreshing and enriching to their so-called eclectic set of experiences.

On the flip side, it can be argued that noone is perfect and one has to delicately work around this fact. For one, I might possess a few traits that might cheese people off on any given day. Take your pick - I can at times be blunt, brazen, needy, whiny or paranoid. Or worse yet, what if I am be perceived to exhibit the above three characteristics?!

Imperfections aside, if a person proves, time and again, to be an anathema to the very air you breathe, it is best for your mental health to avoid crossing each other's path. Unless of course, you plan to stay friends for your own personal reasons - the number of years you've known each other, she's a good friend's friend, she knows someone that can help with your career, she's my only friend, etc - in which case I have only this left to say: Proceed with Caution.

In a similar vein, a blogger's materials either provoke your anger or rivet your attention, all achieved at your own volition. Despite a blogger's popularity with a certain segment of readers, you remain at best unimpressed and at worst repulsed. Perhaps, it is in its political slant that you find disagreeable, or the blogger's overt smugness that makes your skin crawl. You couldn't put your finger on it but this person just ticks you off.

All this unpleasant rubbing brings to mind this hackneyed quote: "Keep your friends close but your enemies closer" which I intend to jettison for the quick and easy "Out of sight, out of mind".

9 comments:

أم الليث said...

i feel the exact same way that you described!
there are just some people who you just can't get along with. everyone else likes them so you think that perhaps you're the problem. but i don't think that's true. i think it is normal to have different polarities and thus be attracted to or repelled by other individuals.

besides, we can't like or be liked by everybody. :)

Theta said...

Polarities - I like that word. It describes this situation so perfectly. :)

Yeah, initially, I do have that feeling - is it me? - because the others seem unable to detect any bad vibes. But then, as you mentioned, as much as you can't expect all to like you, the opposite holds true too!

Anonymous said...

Hi theta. Yes, unfortunately, there are some people who can be toxic to you. In the sense that you feel worse about yourself after each encounter with them. Some people have the luxury of evading toxic people and thus retaining their spirit, but some others are unable to, due to work, circumstances, or the blood that runs in their veins! Best keep good, positive people around you!

~ GAB ~ said...

GAB was here. Reading what you had to write. I always enjoy your language....
Keep it up Theta.

Have a good day!!!

SayangMommy said...

I can name s few without even trying. They just rub me the wrong way.

Period.

I have tried on numerous occasions to be nice to them but unfortunately nothing seemed to work.

Nour said...

I love reading your entries :)

As I was reading this particular entry of yours, I kept telling myself yes I can so relate to this! The characters/behaviour you listed are the people I do encounter in my life. They DO exist and ohh and now I remember I used to have a childhood friend who can never stop "competing" while me on the otherhand just stood back and let her do the competing.

I keep telling myself, friends who are true and sincere are definitely for keeps...while those who I think otherwise I would just eliminate..hehehe :)

BTW, have a good day :)

NorAiniJ said...

I smile reading your entry here :D

Have a nice day dear.

Theta said...

Eliza,
Yes, I agree that some situations prevent you from avoiding some people with a success rate. More so if that person married into the family. :)

Gab,
Thanks Sir.
Have a good day and great Raya Haji too. Balik East Coast?

Sayangmommy,
I can just relate. Hehe. Playing nice doesn't seem to do the trick ;)

Theta said...

Nour,
I'm glad we are on the same page with this. It's no use trying to keep false appearances, knowing quite well it will all end disastrously. :)

When you can't be yourself with someone, you know something is off. That should raise a flag.

You have a good day too!

NJ,
Hehe. Glad I put a smile on your face. It's almost the weekend! Have a great one :)