Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Hartelijk Gefeliciteerd! *


From left: Nina and me (I think ;) )

It’s that time of the year again. No, it’s not Christmas, nor is it the New Year’s Eve.

Clueless still? It coincides with Winter Solstice, at least that’s what I told my would-be husband back then as a useful tip on how to remember my birthday. Oops, the cat is out of the bag. Hah!

Who am I fooling? It has been out ever since I unabashedly dropped hints here and there about the momentous occasion.

30-odd years ago, in the capital of Kelantan (a state in the East Coast of Malaysia), a set of (almost) bald twins entered the world five minutes apart from one another. The time was close to 7pm when the other half finally slid out of the canal. And that would be me. Hehe.

In the Malay tradition, it is commonly believed that the last one to exit the womb is actually the OLDER sister as she had kindly let the younger sister to go out first. I fervidly wish this is true, but I can bet that most people would agree I have the temperament of the younger one. Double hehe.

Also, according to my birth account, I was a songsang, or breech baby, which traditionally means I am endowed with magic fingers, at least as far as massaging is concerned. I want to believe this is real too and earn a profit on my tactile gift, not merely a ploy to massage relatives free of charge based on this non-scientific fact alone. Yet, I can vouch that some people, without even trying hard, make much better masseurs compared to my untrained hands.

Speaking of endowment, my twin sister is always known as the calm and collected half, whereas I am the klutz and scatterbrained one. My mother recalled that back in the primary school days, my twin always insisted her school’s shoelaces to be evenly tied by the former before she even dared stepping on school ground. As for me, I couldn’t care less about those details that clearly explains my relatively unkempt appearance. Even our penmanship – hers neat, mine illegible - gives us away. ;)

These outward differences stretched and expanded, literally and figuratively, into the secondary school (or high school) with me growing larger and geekier than her. I admit that I got jealous when she received the attention of some interesting people (well, at least they were interesting through my shallow, adolescent eyes), significant of which was a senior girl who took her as ‘adik angkat.’ The bespectacled, serious-looking me didn’t have any ‘kakak angkat’, nor did anyone want to be my ‘adik angkat’ and I felt terribly left out. (Well, Kak Muna was sort of a pseudo-Kakak Angkat but that’s another story).

But looking back, all this Kakak Angkat-Adik Angkat business, at least from my observation in boarding school, have more to do with popularity contest amongst my peers as opposed to genuine interest to develop real meaningful friendships. I could easily say that I’m bitter but to tell you the truth I have nurtured some friendships with people of varying ages post-secondary school, and we have been friends ever since. And the age gap has never been a problem as we’re mostly on the same wavelength, save for the occasional spats.

To my twin sister, I still carry that idealistic excesses that at times border infuriatingly on the naiveté. I am disinclined to think otherwise because as much like a leopard that can in no way change his spots, my gullibility has already become a second nature. I couldn’t rid myself of it despite my desire to see the world through a pair of more realistic lenses. That way, it wouldn’t hurt so much when the incongruities of life get to me.

Notwithstanding my seeming innocence, the two of us have always been, on some levels, a protector of one another, on issues ranging from education, health, friendship, money, marriage, to career. I still remember the time she treated me to a trip in Kota Kinabalu as our final getaway before she officially became someone else’s other half. Those carefree, light days invariably bring a smile to my face and remind me of what’s important in life.

As for our legendary series of fights, squabbles, miscommunications and everything in between, it is truly heartening, not to mention surprising, that we could look past all that and continually reinvent our relationship across numerous rites of passage. I could choose to harbor resentment for some of the angry words hurled at me (and vice-versa), but somehow the passage of time has softened the blow and deepened my longing to spend quality time with her.

My twin sister, Nina is a best friend that I could ever ask for. Come to think of it, she is my ONLY best friend – two words that I’d never lightly use. For someone who has two sisters her age and another sister two years junior, the need to crown somebody else as a best friend rarely crosses my mind. My other sisters would quickly beg to differ, I’m sure, citing the usual suspects of entrusting a third party with personal secrets, safekeeping one’s privacy and voicing age-specific concerns.

Breakfast time! Nina, Kak Long, me and Dikya

Few cherished close friends I may have but none singled out as the quintessential best friend just going by the route of certain indiscriminate criteria. Outside the family, the one person closely resembles a best friend is none other than my husband which must be one of the reasons why I wanted him as a life partner. So, my two best friends please play nice. :)

While my sister and I may not live under the same roof anymore, or hang out as often, my intuition tells me that we would always be there for each other for as long as there is a sky above our heads. Therefore, for my thirty-(cough) birthday, I’d like to acquit myself from harping on the past which can never be undone. Let’s accentuate on our positives, dear sister, for that’s what we Sadges do best!

Last but not least, in chronological order for the next four days, happy birthday today to cousin Lindsey in London, a Eid-ul-Adha Mubarak to fellow Muslims, a VERY happy birthday to me and twin, and happy birthday to cousin Arif in Sungai Buloh.

*That's Happy Birthday greeting in Dutch.

p.s. A Big Thank-You goes to Auntie Bae for the scanned photos!
p.p.s. For Birthday comics, please click here.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehehe.... finally, i have access! anyways, have a happy birthday to you, my best friend, as well, though we're not spending it AGAIN together this year. hmmm...
also, thanks for the poignant take on our 'turbulent' relationship. it made me tear up a bit. *sobsob*
btw, hope you'd like the gift - hope I'D like the gift. teeheehee.
and puh-leese, as for the pic, i think you're the one on the left as i am indeed the prim and proper-ry one... :P

nuhaafnan said...

i love the nostalgic pictures! and i totally get what you mean abt being 'bitter' while in boarding school. hihi, it's sooo miserable to be unpopular, right? moreover to be the less popular twin? happy birthday theta and nina & have a wonderful eidul adha this year

Spena said...

Hey!! Happy birthday to you and your 'best friend'...to me and maybe some other primary school friends, you 3 would always be the 'kembar 3'. hehehe.....
Btw, remember Faizan? I got in touch with him again on FB. After nearly 21 years!

A.Z. Haida said...

happy birthday to you & nina. selamat hari raya...

so now we know who Sadia takes after (in term of unkempt appearance), eh? ah, but i didn't care much about my appearance as a young kid either, so we know who huzaifah takes after too... :-)

~ GAB ~ said...

Happy Thirty (sneeze)th Birthday to you! Ahh... nice to read your sis NINA left her heart in her commnent.

Have a good and enjoyable life

Lee said...

Hello Theta, Many happy returns of the day, happy birthday with lots more to come, good health and smiles and lots of sunshine.
I take this opportunity to wish you and all at home, seasons greetings, happy holidays and a very happy new year.
My very best regards,
Lee.

NorAiniJ said...

Theta & Nina,

Happy belated birthday dears (*slapping my face*, is it me or am I really seeing double..hehe).

FYI, I was the only child until I was 8 years old. I think when I was about 6 going to 7, I always imagined myself having a twin sister, the exact replica of me, and we would play dolls, masak-masak, etc together. It was when I started schooling and had real friends then only I started letting go of my imaginary twin sister.

Do you have blog too Nina? If you don’t, pls create one, I would love chatting with you both.

Unknown said...

Hey Theta,

Happy belated birthday.

Gosh! You're one of twins! Yo..Sadia might have twins too one day. I have twins and they were 'sonsang' (breech) too. I gave birth in Perth and the medical team, managed to deliver my babies normal (they call it assisted breech delivery). What a delivery that was!

HAPPY NEW YEAR Theta!

Nour said...

Hello....
Hope it's not too late to wish u HAPPY BIRTHDAY...:)

ohh and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

simah said...

happy belated birthday to u and nina!

from the way she wrote her comment.. i think both of u r totally one of the kind... must be nice to have ur friend friend who also happens to be ur best friend... well..i suppose u guys have to be or else.. u cant throw each other in the rubbish bin eh? it is either be friends or be enemies..either way..u guys r stuck with each other! hehehe

happy belated raya n happy new year!

Theta said...

Dearest all who left wonderful wishes for my birthday,

Apologies for the very late reply to your comments. My recent encounter with erratic internet access has put me off wiriting for a while.

So here goes:

Na aka Azing,
I certainly thinks you like MY gift as attested yesterday when you wore the top! ;)

Yeah my bad, I'm the one on the left. How could I miss the outward signs?! Haha!

Anne,
I didn't really mind being unpopular. Just the fact that someone else took my twin's attention away from me, that peeved me. I'm that possessive. :D

I did however focus my energy elsewhere, as in the academic and sporadic crushes. Hehe.

Spena,
Thanks dear for the wishes. Yup, we are the Kembar Tiga, aka Irish twins. ;)

Faizan? Doesn't ring a bell. But do you know what happpened to Marina, Zalina and Nurhaya?

Theta said...

A.Z. Haida,
Thanks so much for your wish. Hope your Raya was memorable too.

Haha. Sadia doesn't like us to mess with her hair at all - putting barrettes, strings, whatever. Sigh, at least, she's wearing dresses! :)

U Lee,
Gee thanks dear uncle. :)

By the way, happy new year to you and the whole family too. And I hope your Christmas was a grand affair amongst loved ones.

NJ,
Growing up, my twin and I had our own share of imaginary worlds as well. With colorful books dictating the life of our respective alter ego. Hehe.

Yes, she has a blog. Here's the link. You have to knock first on her door though. ;)

Have a wonderful New Year to you and your loved one!

Theta said...

Silly me! I miss Gab in the earlier reply.

Gab,
Many thanks for the wish. Funny that you used the 'TH', and not 'RD' or 'ND' after the sneeze :D

Happy New Year to you and the family!

Ruby,
They were born in Perth! Wow! Their birth account is already interesting. :) Can't wait to hear you gushing about them too.

Of course, I'm biased since I'm a twin. Haha.

Have a fabulous New Year Ruby!

Theta said...

Nour,
It's never too late to wish moi. I love well-wishers anytime of the year. :D

Hope all your 2008 resolutions come true and wishing you a fantastic year ahead!

Simah,
I hope your Raya has been great, despite the recent demise of a loved one.

Thanks dear for wishing me and Nina. Like my mom says, we're like peas in a pod. Inseparable in spite of our differences.

Have a Great New Year to you and the Zaim clan!