Saturday, September 15, 2007

So Many Blogs, So Little Time!

There are many things that have taken place which I want to write about. However, being a SAHM ('Stay-At-Home-Mother') with an absence of any domestic help, not to mention a clingy toddler, I find my time quite limited.

And it has only been the second week! I mean, the second week hubby has gone back to work. It takes some time getting used to the idea that hubby won't be around to lend a hand, whenever I need a break. On the flip side, it is also an adjustment period for hubby after a one-year off as a student!

Ramadan has finally arrived and it is an exhilarated feeling having able to spend this holy month in Malaysia.

Not only are the food choices much better, but experiencing Ramadan amongst my people is something that I wouldn't trade for the world.

Speaking of food, last Saturday we hosted a group of family members and close friends for makan-makan or dinner - sort of a mini-'housewarming' after almost a year being in a state of neglect.

Save for the drinks, the food are either catered or brought by relatives and friends. That's another nice thing about living in Malaysia. You can just cater from a reputable food court proprietor at fraction of the overseas price.

Thanks Nenek (or grandma) for bringing the sambal ikan and the Adzuki agar-agar, Kak Long for the Daging Dinding, Mama for the translucent pink agar-agar and Aunty Sam for the grapes.

The Do started with a Maghrib prayer congregation led by my brother as an imam and a short doa thereafter as thanksgiving to God and seeking His protection. I couldn't join in the jemaah prayer since I was on toddler duty. :)

Dinner proceeded as usual, and if I might add, with gusto as guests chowed down the nasi minyak and ayam masak merah amid muffled chats and squealing children.

The friends portion of the dinner party only arrived after most of my relatives had left. They must have either known each other in their previous lives (haha!) and therefore in cahoots with one another. A more logical explanation is that they shared the same mentality that late arrivals mean an easy flow of conversations, albeit at the risk of having less food to eat!

But catching up with one another is more on the agenda than scarfing down the food. Food just serves as a great complement to and a 'medium' for lively interactions.

My twin sister and her small entourage were the last persons from the family to leave, as Numi and Nuzz turned irascible and groggy respectively. Nuzz is such a cooperative and quiet baby...for now. ;-)

Kak Zakiah delighted us with funny, off-the-cuff stories about her TV interview as well as anecdotes from work while Peon updated us on some developments - people and management - of his (and hubby) company.

After Rizby (thanks for the dates!) left at midnight, we put Sadia to sleep and, out of norm, she fell into deep slumber without much protest or hesitation. Even though it was a full, tiring day, we were glad everything turned out relatively well considering it was our first Do after coming back home.

Today is the third day of Ramadan and the usual Iftar potluck and Terawikh prayer at grandma's takes place every Saturday during this Muslim month. Have a blessed Ramadan to all Muslim bloggers and readers! And may we reap the bountiful rewards to be had!















8 comments:

أم الليث said...

enjoy your Ramadhan! :)

say, how did Sadia cope with Malaysian heat?

Lollies said...

I think SAHM has so much never ending work to do. A hubby helping a bit certainly gives me a moral boost.

Ramadhan Kareem to you.

all jazzed up said...

Girl, there are such things as NURSERIES. Hee hee. Maybe you can send her for an hour or two daily and you can have some me-time and put your legs up. Or go shopping!BTW, where is Minan working?

The Purple Cat said...

Wah, meriah ... :)
Wishing a truly happy and blessed Ramadan to you and your family.

Nothing compares to the warmth of family gatherings.

Kak Teh said...

theta, how nice to be home at this time! Selamat berpuasa to you and yours.

Cosmic_GurL said...

I wish I could be a SAHM too..Oh but wait, I need to get a baby first before I can do that. Bummer. Hehehe

Theta said...

Dear Aliya,
One word: Air-con. LOL!

Lollies dear,
I agree, an other half lending a great hand surely makes a lot of difference.

Mimin,
Yes I know! I wonder if you know of any good ones around this side of Ampang or Jalan Ampang?
And you read my mind, I so want to do some shopping now!

Theta said...

The Purple Cat,
Gathering of family members does give the warm fuzzies, I concur!

Kak Teh,
Thank you dear for visiting. I agree, it's fun time to be in Malaysia and the Bazaar Ramadans are some of the much-awaited perks! :)

Cosmic Gurl,
Jom become an SAHM together-gether...hehehe