Tuesday, September 04, 2007

An Earth Mother

Sunday was my mother's birthday.

It was high-tea time at my twin's place, a stone-throw away from my parents' humble abode, where siblings and relatives alike gathered for the occasion.

The get-together was also to commemorate another birthday - of Sadia's cousin, Alya, who turns one on the 4th.

Since I have alloted Mama's life story in a previous post, this one will revolve mainly on my parents' love story.

I may not have their written permission to divulge this personal tale for public consumption. Nonetheless, this is the version as narrated to me by my mother over the years. Thus, any discrepancies or exaggerations are by no means my doing.

Let's just hope noone would turn their story into an engaging screenplay because I dare say theirs is a stuff of movies!

Mama studied in the now defunct St. Mary's Girl School which once situated next to The Weld on a small hill off Jalan Raja Chulan, KL. Every schoolday, she would walk to school from Kampung Bharu and mind you, at that time, KL didn't feel as close in as it is at present.

Being in a girl school which was under the tutelage of some dour-looking Caucasian nuns, these adolescents sought entertainment by way of numerous outlets, one of which was through letter correspondence with males from boy schools.

Back then, the normal practice was to pin introductory getting-to-know-you letters - with biodata and sometime photos to boot - procured from boy schools on the corkboard at the back on the classroom. That is, whenever the stuffy nuns were out of sight! This surreptitious method enabled the young ladies to pick and choose with whom they would want to become pen-pals with.

Since tall, dark and handsome were the uppermost in the (shallow) minds of most girls, my dad (or Didi) was unfairly excluded from the primary selection process and remained the lone letter stuck on the board. My father is by no means unattractive, with a fair complexion and an almost aristocractic nose. However, his 'stature' might not be as commanding as some bulky men.

Somehow or rather, my mother's instinct compeled her to contact my dad which began an interstate friendship that gradually blossomed into romance. Academic-wise, he helmed from that infamous boy school in Kuala Kangsar, and was offered to board there after performing exceedingly well in his hometown of Jerteh, Terengganu.

The differences in upbringing and environment where they had grown up - mom in KL and dad in an East Coast village - had initially caused some teething problems in their budding friendship. Mama even quipped about the time she duly sent back his photos (or were they letters?) as a result of a petty squabble - eventhough they were yet an 'item' - when he adamantly requested for them! However, months later, he wrote back and their correspondence resumed as before.

After years of writing to each other as well as calling when he was transiting in KL enroute to Terengganu for the school holidays, they finally met when he was about to fly to New Zealand for further studies.

If I was not mistaken, my dad proposed to my mom at this time which in turn called for a long engagement - 2 or 3 years - since he had to first complete his BSc.

You know what they usually say about long engagement - they are wrought with barbwires, flaming hoops and other form of tortures. Well at least, that's my first-hand observation of such lovestruck arrangements.

Alhamdulillah, they managed to muddle through this series of tribulations and were married on the 7th of April 1973 in Kampung Bharu.

Blessed with five children in the span of 8 years, my parents' friends-turn-lovers saga taught me a great deal about forbearance and perseverance. Particularly, in the affairs of the heart, I draw my strength from such tenacity in character.

For her birthday, I wish Mama continued health and bliss in every conceivable venture that she takes on.

Here's a Love Is comic, reminiscent of the times of your courtship:

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for writing this account of their love story. if not for you, we would have forgotten how their love has blossomed through out the turbulent years. thanks for the (much-needed)reminder.

Lollies said...

theta, font you ni macam keciklah pulak.

thank God I manged to ask y late mum how she ended up with my dad. And also after my mum passed away my dad has been repeating their stories for like a hundred times. I can feel their love

ZazaHardy said...

aww.. how sweet! here's wishing your mum a wonderful one and many many more years to come filled with loads more love, laughter and happiness!

Zaza

Cosmic_GurL said...

Awwww..such a sweet love story. Last time when there were no emails, communication was only via snail mail but couples still made it work, like your parents.

Nowadays even with the advancement of technology long distance relationship often fail. I wonder why...

Theta said...

Azing,
I felt like documenting their love story for posterity. Also, it put 'some' things in perspective. =)

Lollies,
There's a problem loading my blogsite via Firefox but I think the debugging has gone now. Is it ok at your end?

Your parents sound like they are really much in love. Your dad's countless narrations demonstrate that perfectly.

Zaza,
Thanks dear for your well-wishes. The same goes for your parents. :)

Cosmic Gurl,
I think the problem lies in the motivations behind these two forms of communication - snail mail versus electronic mail.

With the former, you get the commitment and dedication to follow through with your actions. The act of writing the letter(s) itself, choosing the right words to appeal to your recipient, as well as going to the post office to buy a stamp and mailing it, reinforce the idea of making an effort.

Conversely, the latter is an effortless medium, which cheapens the necessity to make an impression or tying yourself to a definite goal.

Well, you can always delete or cancel sent messages, but for the former, once it's out, there's no way to retract it! Hehe!

أم الليث said...

yeayyyyy it's OK now :D

aww what a sweet love story!

i'm always fascinated by the concept of "jodoh".

Nour said...

such a sweet story with a happy ending :)

all jazzed up said...

theta, i miss getting love letters. if anyone ever sent me a love note now... I will get down on MY KNEES and propose. hahah!

Theta said...

Alia,
Me too....Am always intrigued by the AlMighty's preordained choice of our life partners...that is, if it's written in our 'books' in the first place :)

Nour,
Thanks much. Here's to more than 30 years worth of their marital bond!

Jasmeen,
Could be arranged....heh heh!

Unknown said...

Hello my dear,

Wishing you and family, 'Selamat Berpuasa'. Take care dear.

Theta said...

Thanks Ruby.
Ramadan Kareem to you and your family as well.