Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Summer Scintillating Screenings

I duly informed my husband about JK Rowling's final installation of the Harry Potter series last Friday, much to his elation. He has been a fan of the kid wizard ever since he read 'The Sorcerer Stone' circa 1999 and, looks forward to Harry Porter's continuing saga to hit the bookstore shelves every single year.

After one year of absence, JK Rowling at last unveiled 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows' which will circulate the literary circle on July 21st this year. The timing of the book release coincides with the screening of the Harry Potter's latest flick - the fourth book, 'The Order of Phoenix' - which is also the book least liked by my husband (not counting the final offering by JK Rowling). I'm never much a reader of this sort of genre - wizardry, sorcery and anything in between.

However, I'm quite excited to watch the unravelling of Harry Potter's and others' characters on the big screen this summer. It will be released on July 13th, which by then, suits perfectly with my husband's academic schedule.

I vaguely recall the last time I hit the cinema with my husband. It must be either December 2005 or January 2006. Now with a baby in tow, it's hardly practical to simply hop into the nearby mall-enclosed cinema in the Klang Valley, nor is it emotionally (and physically) possible to leave Sadia with a sitter cum friend nowadays in Delft.

Watching movies figures largely in our halcyon dating years so much so that it spilled over as our weekend/public holiday ritual. Like shopping, it serves as therapy to our wearied souls and depending on the genres, it rewards us with some food-for-thought or impresses us with stunning special effects and 'escapism' thrills.

Our romancing with innumerable flicks tapered off as I reached the final stages of my third trimester, though I didn't understand what's the fuss about going into labor in the cinema theatre. But I was more than amenable to suggestions and advices with this being my first baby.

This year, we vow to return to the big screen and munch on caramel-doused popcorns we've been hankering for what seems like an aeon. Sadia will most likely accompany us on this rare excursion, preferably with the aid of earplugs to mitigate the fluctuations in noise level and subdue Sadia into a state of complacency.

The three major flicks that I am dying to watch this summer are, in descending order:

1) Spiderman 3
The third and final instalment to the Spiderman trilogy centers on Peter Parker's struggle against the enemy within and without. After possessing the knowledge of his uncle's real killer, Parker has been obsessed with avenging his death to the point that he literally losses himself to the 'poisonous' feelings of hatred and resentment. On the romantic front, the appearance of Parker's old flame might tip the balance in his blossoming relationship with MJ. The Spiderman trilogy is top-notch in my cinematic book owing largely to its auteur, Sam Raimi's personal touches, dedication and passion to his pet project. Aside from the dry humor and excellent script, the onscreen chemistry between Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst makes the viewing more enjoyable and believable. Oh yeah, the amazing state-of-the-art CGI effects also guarantees Spiderman 3 a helluva ride! It will hit cinemas worldwide on May 4th.

2) Transformers
Like the illustrious director Michael Bay (of 'The Rock' and 'Pearl Harbor' fame), I grew up watching Transformers with my siblings during the weekend cartoon shows. The trailer screams volume of the film's storyline and promises, in true Hollywood fashion, over-the- top action and suspense. Also, I expect the script to be saccharine sweet and at times campy, like many other movies produced by Michael Bay - what more with the movie release aptly scheduled, with much pomp and revelry, for the 4th of July weekend!

3) The Simpsons Movie
A true blue Simpson fan, I am waiting with bated breath for the big-screen larger-than-life version of The Simpsons on July 27th. I haven't read anything about the plot but I guess it'll be classy, original and hillarious as wont. Probably, a more 'contemporary' incarnation of The Simpsons' characters is in the pipeline? Like Montgomery Burns repeatedly clasping his hands in anticipated delight, I'm reeling with excitement for the unfolding of this long-running animation.

I'm fairly optimistic that these movie-buff outings will pan out come Summer. For the time being, we just have to make do with movie re-runs on the telly or buy some cheap DVDs off the rack. And of course, go hunting for those life-savers, errr I mean, earplugs...

No comments: