Saturday, December 30, 2006

Addendum to Comfort Food...For Thought...Lekker, Lekker


I would like to amend my previous post concerning my sweeping generalization on the perennial availability of Dutch street food. Thanks Tita for informing me that oliebollen is available up to the middle of January. My bad. To think of it, it was only in November we noticed the presence of this wonderful snack. I reckon the best time to consume such a greasy finger food is during the coldest of winter (between November to January) which also coincides with a feast-full atmosphere of Christmas and New Year’s Day. Oh well, hopefully the oliebollen mix is available on the supermarkets’ shelves all year round. No?

Oh by the by, it also occurred to me that oliebollen reminds me a lot of ‘cucur or cekodok pisang’ in preparation, consistency, and aroma. A delicious, scrummy substitute to remember home by!

In replacement for the non-seasonal trait of oliebollen, I offer ‘stroopwafel’ which comprises two thin waffle-type wafers that have a special caramel filling. Easily found both in supermarkets and outdoor markets, this sticky, chewy, molasses-rich snack will leave you asking for more. However, I won’t recommend this other street favorite to those without a sweet tooth.

p.s. Lekker is the Dutch word for delicious or in Malay, sedap. From my observation, the Dutch usually utter it twice – hence, the repetition – probably for emphasis. Go figure.

No comments: