Monday, January 16, 2006

The Proverbial Stork

I had written this blog earlier but then there was a power outage. It rendered my missive kaput. This does stifle my creative outflow. Not to mention, it tried my patience. Alas, I now have to re-write the entire blog from memory. And you know how it is pregnant ladies and their memory......

I would say I'm a fairly superstitious person. The usage of 'fairly' in the previous sentence connotes a rationale-minded individual who at times succumbs to the preternatural elements of her surrounding. I also have to qualify 'at times' which is 'fairly' safe to say referring to less than 50% of the time.

However, an uncanny phenomenon changed my perception - and turned me to an 'oftentimes' superstitious person.

This series of bewildering events, which I'd call the Stork Phenomenon, occured following my nuptials in November of 2004.

In January 2005, my 39 year-old auntie (by marriage) announced her pregnancy. According to estimated calculations, she had conceived the baby when she was in Kuching, Sarawak as part of our family entourage for the wedding ceremony at the house of my husband's parents.

Then, a month or so later, my younger sister informed us of her successful conception.

This subsequently followed by my baby news in July.

In October, during the fasting month, my 40-odd year-old auntie (by marriage) dropped us with the most unexpected news. She was with child! Due to health reasons, she and my uncle decided to keep mum about it until they were definitely sure.

Outside of familial realm, three of my friends have also been bitten by the baby bug. Elda, Iza and Ina.

My mom thereon told me that, according to her family tradition, pregnancies, more often than not, come in cluster. That was what had happened in the 80s when my two aunties (mom's two sisters) got pregnant followed by expectant relative members and cousins.

On the flip (albeit morbid) side, the same tradition also believes that our departure into the netherworld are executed in groups of three (or is it five? - I've forgot). As such, a person will come to know of 3 individuals (close/distant relatives, friends or famous persons) who have passed away during a particular day.

I believe this circle of birth and death takes place around tightly-woven, esoteric rules set forth by God. Only He knows best. And to allay our fear of the unknown, we can only speculate. Some through zodiacs, algorithms and of course, superstitions.

The good news is I have already one boy cousin last September and a niece last October. Another boy cousin is due in April, after mine in late February/early March. With this minuscule age gap, I wonder how my child will address her young uncles!

No comments: