Wednesday, January 25, 2006

On a side note

The fragrance of the cranberry-scented candle percolated the bedroom.
The candle, representing the most expensive ‘want’ item (as opposed to ‘need’) we have bought in recent months, stood vigil atop one of the shelves that hung over our bed.
Purchased at British India at RM15 per candle, it is redolent of the store which in itself serves as a catalyst that has nudged us to buy the candle in the first place.

The cranberry smell has a calming effect on my sometime agitated state. It also helps to lull me to sleep. My eyes circled the room. In a span of two months, we have bought a perambulator, a changing baby station, a moses basket and other baby essential knick knacks. The changing station now settled nicely on my side of the bed so as to enable easy access to the bed for breastfeeding.

The concept of breastfeeding is also new to me. Despite having read many articles and third-party accounts on this matter, it’s something you’d never know unless you experience it yourself firsthand. Like riding the bicycles or swimming. You wouldn’t know until you attempt the feat.

35 weeks pregnant now. Come this weekend it’d be 36 weeks. At least that’s what the calculation is based on my due date of 25 February (in the previous blog I’ve already clarified that it can be as late as 4 March).
I’m sure the intricacies and anecdotal galore of my pregnancy has thus far bored some of you to tears. Granted, it is almost over now and I do hope the birthing process will come sooner than later.

The anticipation of a newborn’s arrival has me at the edge of my seat! Sensations that are new to me could be falsely construed as contractions. Else, I’d be diligently on the lookout for bodily fluids that are of the wrong color or texture.

And there’s the question of finding great help during the so-called ‘confinement’ period that many Malay ladies strictly adhere to. (Other major races in Malaysia – Chinese and Indians also practice their own sets of confinement customs) During this time, the new mother will stay on a stringent regiment of diet in order to heal her ‘wounds’ and facilitate in shrinking the size of her uterus. There will also be the employment of a traditional ‘masseuse’ or ‘tukang urut’ whose methods are touted to help in regulating our blood flow and milk production, encouraging the swift recovery of female reproductive organs and speeding up the process of expelling lochia from the body.

I have managed to find one tukang urut but now wonder if I should keep my options open lest she won’t be available at the very last minute or her methods are not much to my liking.
As for confinement ladies – a term quite novel in my vocabulary – there is a dearth of such services in the market, well at least in the Klang valley region. If one gives birth outside the city, chances are quite high in finding the much sought-after confinement ladies. Not only will they cook for you your special food, they will also bathe and clothe the baby and help with the domestic chores. It’s like having a temporary nanny in the house who will show you the ropes on how to take care of your baby.

Of course, you would have your mother or mother-in-law to impart their maternal wisdom on you but a confinement lady that comes and goes at your own schedule is better in terms of privacy and convenience. However, the only downside is that their service can be quite expensive.

To begin with, my mother is not in good health to assist me in this area while my mother-in-law lives in Kuching, Sarawak - about 1 hour and 40 minutes plane ride from Kuala Lumpur. She has agreed to come for about a week to help me recover during which time I will be ingesting and applied with special traditional herbs that she has personally prepared. But her short stay means I need to scour for other means of service during the first month of my baby’s lives. Eureka! My mom’s maid is reportedly available to cook my special meals while I slowly tend to my baby.

Being a first-time mother, any form of assistance and company post-birth is much welcome. By the same token, any gifts and presents are much, much appreciated. ;-) Like those delicious cranberry or dewberry candles for instance - but no citrusy-scented candles please - since babies are supposedly aversive to this smell during the first few months of their lives. :-)

No comments: