Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Tea-totaller

One of the rulings in Islam is the forbiddance of alcohol consumption. Or as it is said in Arabic 'Haram'. However, a proviso applies in such a case of medicinal import or medical emergency. This set of emergencies includes a case of hypothermia and any health-related scenario which compels the imbibing of alcohol-laden beverages. Also, if you are in a state of national emergency like famine, drought or war and alcoholic drinks are the last thing available to quench your thirst and aid in your survival, then you are allowed to consume these spirits.

Contrary to some skeptics and opponents, Islam is not so unreasonable in its principles and beliefs. God knows best the extent of human beings' capability and endurance.

I had weighed the pros and cons of this particular musing. First, it might carry undertones of a self-righteous prig. Second, it might hurt the sensibilities of some readers. Third, this entry is solely to represent my opinion and to share my experience.

In the end, I decided, without much mental anguish and dilemma, to follow through with this discourse and gratify my desire to monologuing.

An idealist by nature, I was initially shocked by the exposure to Muslim drinking revellers.

It was during my collegiate time. I didn't know Bring Your Own Food/Own Drink party constituted slugging down Budweiser longnecks, vodka and other ungodly concoctions.

I should have known - considering the background of some of these students. But I had thought they'd practice some restraints when being amongst other Muslims (their younger brethrens) as a show of respect to the others that strongly followed this belief.

From then onwards, I had become numbed and insouciant with these kinds of stories.

That was until a 'relatively' close friend of mine (who has now been rendered an ex-friend) divulged her own 'wantings' of an alcoholic variety.

During a getaway trip and while driving, she almost salivated when uttering "Oh, how a vodka would do me good right now".

I was petrified by such confession which was borderline on the alcoholic. I know she was a 'tad bit' liberal but that was a definitive moment where we part company.

When she wanted to indulge in a holiday drunkardness, I finally made my stand - if you want to do so, you can do without me. And she didnt - I think for the most part due to a lack of quorum to have a 'jolly good time'.

When we had a falling out some time later which I attribute to her temporary lapse into insanity, I now speculate if it was the lack of alcohol in her system that had caused it. Hmmmm..........

As for other third parties' account that I have come across, the impression that drinking is synonymous with the yuppie culture (educated overseas or otherwise) was turned upside down during my first person encounter with someone who is not from the yuppie set and who had been drinking since she was 16.

Whether it was out of confession or showing off, I was too appalled to question her motives when she told me this next - that she quitted (which was quite recently - about 2-3 years ago and she is now almost in her mid-30s) because she couldn't get drunk anymore. In other words, the tolerance level was so high that she couldn't make herself get drunk.

However, I do give her credit for not straying from her resolve not to drink anymore. At least, that's what she told me and given her current circumstances, I'm giving her the benefit of my doubt.

I admit I am naive to let this judgement call hampering my pursuit of congenial and interesting acquaintances. But I am only human. As long as they don't ask me to partake in such acitvity , don't label me unfairly as uncool for not doing the same or don't relish in their drunkard hour stories, I am cool about being chummy with these yuppie or non-yuppie crowds.

On the flip side, if they don't think I'm cool enough for their lifestyle, well, tough! Aufwedershein!