Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Singing in the rain


The blaring sound of the karaoke system pierced the night's solitude and entered the sanctuary of my cosy hotel room. This followed by my husband's text message declaring it was karaoke time by the beach.

His team-building commitment saw us spending last weekend on a seaside resort which, I might add, has seen better days. While I take my hat off to the refurbished works within the hotel room, the pygmy-sized bathtub left a lot to be desired, among others, making 'cleansing' a cumbersome task.

Alas, I am digressing. That night, the cacophony that was people's singing voices conjures memories of a distant past. My thoughts flew back to the time of my primary school in Kuala Terengganu when I was auditioning to be in the all-girls school choir along with other eager candidates. I remember when it was my turn to step on the platform and vocalise the "Do, Re, Mi, Fa, So, La, Ti, Do". It should be a cinch, comforted this wide-eyed wonder of a girl inside me. As it turned out, I even managed to botch a simple feat as that. To make matters worse, my two sisters - the eldest and my twin - were chosen to be part of the choir! I was devastated and felt being left out of the fun. Bummer. Whereas they got to go to different schools to compete and even appeared on National TV (RTM), I remained glued to my seat and became a mere spectator.

They say childhood experiences shape and nurture how we turn out later in life. Thus, when it comes to singing, I always believe that I suck. This perception has been ingrained into me ever since that fateful day in 1984.

I'd become conscious of singing together with my sisters lest I'd sound off-key. Moreover, people's facial expressions - imagined or otherwise - when I 'performed' never lie and become a (faulty?) barometer to which I gauge my so-called singing prowess. Eventually, I came to accept that I could not sing.

Despite the vocal weakness, I still love music like the next person, particularly songs from various musicals. I would normally hum or sing them in my own company. "Singing in the rain" is a favourite solo number. With sheets of rain accompanying my solitary walk and no one else to judge, I feel strangely at ease and let go of any inhibition.

Being married to a naturally-gifted singer that is my husband should have further affected my singing confidence. On the contrary, my other half shares my passion for songs - musicals included - and we often break into familiar tunes together. (Side note: I guess that's another reason why I married him - I can be myself and be spared of all pretensions :D ). He doesn't belittle*; he offer tips to sing better. Sing in your natural voice, he'd say. That evidently worked, in most parts.

Life has a funny way of changing how you look at things. The arrival of our bundle of joy three years ago found me getting over my singing jitters once and for all. To soothe her to sleep, I'd make some lullabies up that brought her straight to Dreamland. It's probably the sound of my voice - her mother - which drew in the yawns. She sensed the security and warmth, knowing I was there. And yet, I felt wholly satisfied and contented that she enjoyed my singing. That's what matters most.

In that instance, my hang-up about singing in public completely dissolved. I have found the audience and adulation that I ever really want.

As for Karaoke-ing, I don't mind taking a stab at it, on the condition that I attempt it with my closest and dearest. With them having small baggage (read: small children) to haul around, it is a long time coming before that day arrives. :) For now though, I'd happily oblige warbling duties either at home or inside a moving vehicle.



* He can be a tad patronising in other matters, but that's a different story. ;)

2 comments:

wanshana said...

Theta,

Same here :)

I suck at singing (BIG TIME!). Although I love going for late night karaoke sessions with my close friends - I don't sing at all. Heck, I don't even want to hold the mics most of the time! :)

I just love the company, and I would just mime away all night along. And they understand, and they never pressure me to sing (or maybe, they're saving themselves from severe eardrum perforations...? Hmmmm...?)

And like yours, my hubby is a 'pro' (so, basically he makes up for whatever it is that I'm lacking in the singing department :))

david santos said...

Really great work. Excellent posting.