Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Kuching in a daze


The gossamer curtain billows suggestively under the spell of an afternoon breeze. Its undulating waves match the slow-paced existence of this peaceful household. Outside, on a neighbour's spacious backyard, countless lalangs with their white flowers sprouting out rustle in the wind. Despite the negative press that lalang often gets, this 'sea of white' appeals to my aesthetic. Save for the sound of television, there is nary a voice rising above others, nor will there be a need to. In this quiet, idyllic setting, my frayed mind is instantly cajoled to join the rest in collective harmony.

For a short while, there won't be any worry about the perpetually broken down elevator, the drunken African expat, the crazy motorists on the roads or the ruthless taxi drivers.

Everything appears to move slower in this lovely, quaint place. Truly a holistic approach to life that many a weary urbanite, like myself, have sought after. Thus, heed my advice: to recharge your battery, find a temporary pastoral residence, complete with the night orchestra of crickets, birds and frogs, the fresh village air to salve the troubled soul, and a group of non-combative, relaxed individuals to restore your faith in people.

This leafy Kampung (Village), by the fringes of Sarawak river, has the inexplicable magic touch that always have me hankering for more. Welcome home Tita. Glad you're back.

------------------------------------

And now, on a sappy front :

I was standing
All alone against the world outside
You were searching
For a place to hide

Lost and lonely
Now you’ve given me the will to survive
When we’re hungry...love will keep us alive

Don’t you worry
Sometimes you’ve just gotta let it ride
The world is changing
Right before your eyes
Now I’ve found you
There’s no more emptiness inside
When we’re hungry...love will keep us alive

I would die for you
Climb the highest mountain
Baby, there’s nothing I wouldn’t do

I was standing
All alone against the worlk outside
You were searching
For a place to hide
Lost and lonely
Now you’ve given me the will to survive
When we’re hungry...love will keep us alive
When we’re hungry...love will keep us alive
When we’re hungry...love will keep us alive


(From Eagles album's Hell Freezes Over)

Happy Anniversary my dear husband. We were married on the 14th of Syawal 1425 and as wont, will celebrate the day as mutually agreed.

Thank you for your kindness, patience, guidance, hope, perseverance and most importantly, unconditional love. While I concede to moments of relapse, at times wallow in my own weaknesses or succumb to imagined shortcomings, I am most blessed having you in my life. May Allah strengthen our marital bond and bestow us with His bountiful barakah, insyaAllah.


During the 'Makan Temuan' ritual for Kuching wedding ceremony

10 comments:

Cosmic_GurL said...

Oh boy! The Nasi Temuan custom brings back memories..hehehe...we had to do it 3 times! And i had to let hubby so-called "win" by letting him feed me first! Hehehe...

Ahppy Anniversary Theta :)

Theta said...

Haha. Likewise, CosmicGurl.

Unlike you, I was told to win and get the rice in first. And the same was said to him. It was quite a sight, trying to outdo one another in public. :)

But I reckon it's a great way to break the ice between the two newly-joined families.

Kak Teh said...

Tahniah! Tahniah! and may there be more years filled with happiness and bliss!

Theta said...

Kak Teh,

Thanks a lot for the wishes.

Do you mind sharing some useful pointers from your own wonderful marriage? :)

wanshana said...

Happy Anniversary, dear.

Here's to many, many, many more of 14th Syawals to come :)

God bless you, hubby and Sadia (and your future lil' ones :))

Theta said...

Thank you dear WanShana,

Here's praying for our respective marital bliss.

Future lil' ones? Hope manis mulut you :)))

Anonymous said...

theta - selamat hari raya aidilfitri (belated) and happy anniversary...

I hope sadia is enjoying her time in sarawak as well - and you are right, to recharge, nothing beats being close to nature.

david santos said...

Happy Anniversary, Theta!
Thanks for your posting. I love this ritual. This ceremony is fantastic. Good imagination...
Have a nice weekend.

NorAiniJ said...

Dear Theta,

Wanted to leave comments the other day, but your comment box was experiencing some hiccups.

Happy anniversary dear! And Sadia has grown into a lil lady herself.

And oh, I love the sound and setting of your in-law's abode. Must be so enchanting.

Theta said...

Eliza,

Thanks dear. Hope you have fully adjusted to your new place.

I love to commune with nature. Give me a wide-open field and the sweet-smelling of grass anytime.


David Santos,
Thanks for the lovely words.


NJ,

Many thanks to you. Enchantment in the Kampung. I like that. :)

Yes, Sadia's hair has grown so long that we are contemplating to give her a full-blown haircut soon. I hope she cooperates.