Saturday, August 25, 2007

KL Membengit *

It is close to 2 a.m. here in the bedroom of our humble Ampang apartment where we have been hibernating for the past week.

Or rather, it feels like it.

Sadia has taken an unusually long time to adjust her biological clock that follows keenly her Dutch’s sleeping patterns which in turn altered her parents into a zombie-like state. From the time we arrived on Sunday to Thursday, her bedtime varies between 2 to 4 a.m. Only tonight she slept around 1:30 and gave me a breather to update this site.

The rippling effects of this slow temporal adjustment range from undue stress to heightened anger at seemingly trivial issues.

At first, I wasn’t sure what tone to use for this Malaysian re-entry post. Should I just let go of my emotions and rant to my heart’s content, the inadequacies and other disturbing attributes of my country? Or should I discard those emotionally-charged excesses and exercise some form of discretion with my thoughts?

Granted, all these first impressions are probably owing to the culture shock that I (and husband) am experiencing upon reintroduction to the Malaysian way of life.

After spending a quiet existence in a Delftian bubble for almost a year, the cacophony that is KL assailed me from all directions. And the massive school-holiday crowd thronging the malls and roads didn’t help at all to ease up our frazzled nerves.

The most glaring change in our life so far is the mode of transport to which we must now solely depend on: the car. The efficient public transport in the Netherlands made it unnecessary, even superfluous, for us to use a car. We walk everywhere – to the friendly, nearby neighborhood supermarket, to the clothing stores of choice, to the cafes galore.

In Malaysia, unless you are willing to risk your life riding the Metro bus driven by addlebrained individuals (or would animals be more apt?), a personal car is the most practical option available. And since everyone else has the same idea, there are gazillions of cars on the roads, which serve as a catalyst for traffic-jam nightmares, thus hampering quick movements and, understandably defeating the purpose of having a car in the first place!

And of course, the notorious, globally-renowned Malaysian drivers need some getting used to. My observations for the first week include: (a) the ACTUAL purpose of using your indicator light when turning either to the right or to the left is to prepare yourself from being ambushed by the car behind for having the audacity to get into his or her lane; (b) this will cause the looney, egomaniac driver to floor his or her accelerator so as to hinder you from overtaking him or her on that lane; (c) the difficulty of going out of your parking space when other cars refuse to stop to let you reverse your way since they are all KIASU monsters; (d) the gross negligence to use your indicator light to inform the car behind as to the direction you are planning to turn since signaling are for wimps (or if you’re a chauvinist – women) only.

The lack of common courtesy on the roads must be the primary reason for the unending cases of fatalities on highways and byways. In a land purportedly famous for its friendly smiles, this form of reckless behavior runs counter to this gracious claim. How ironic is that?

Why do Malaysians vent out their anger while driving and take it personally when someone wants to overtake or go into their lane? Why can’t they just let them through? Will their egos be bruised or God forbid (for men only), lessen the value of their manhood? This baffles me so.

Any form of courtesy also appears to be on the decline, if not disappearing altogether. Today, I had to carry an empty stroller over five short steps and after heaving it successfully on top of the landing, Sadia’s non-spill cup fell out of the bag attached to the stroller. As I ran down two steps after it, the pushchair tilted over with some contents strewn all over the steps below.

The most annoying aspect of the incident was that NOONE came to help me. In fact, there were three young guys loitering on the aforesaid steps and the only thing they could offer was “Ooopp!” as if providing me with the requisite sound effects that my stroller was about to flip over. They just sat there, wide-eyed and probably amused by my hapless situation.

They were the ones closest but some people manning a Persona promotional tent also stood there agape. I was miffed by the absence of anyone’s quick thinking to help a person in need. Have Malaysia’s urban areas cultivated a series of apathetic societies? Or is it a national phenomenon?

Instantaneously, my mind wandered to Delft’s train station where its southbound platform is strangely not equipped with any handicapped facility i.e., a lift. This oversight also causes difficulty for stroller-reliant individuals, not to mention those carrying heavy luggage, to lug the perambulators down some flights of stairs. However, more often than not, total strangers would offer to help my husband carry the stroller down to the bottom of the steps.

Or, they would hold the door open for us (and our stroller) when we are entering or leaving a store, since most stores prefer using double doors than the automatic doors, owing possibly largely to climatic reasons (windy, cold condition during the Fall and Winter). Besides Delft, these selfless acts were experienced in big cities of Rotterdam, Den Haag and Amsterdam. So it’s a lame excuse to say that city folks are less friendly or on the flip side, more self-absorbed.

I know it’s only the first week and in time I might stumble on some kindhearted folks, but somehow deep inside my gut feeling is telling me this is the real deal. I have to adapt to this kind of lifestyle – fastpaced, noisy, living-in-traffic-jams, kiasu-mentality – and hopefully remain unscathed by the jarring, discordant messages that KL is sending out to me. Loud and clear.

*Bengit can be loosely translated as Shrieking.

11 comments:

all jazzed up said...

Is it bingit or bengit? My useless knowledge of proper Malay tells me it's bingit. Where are you guys staying anyway? Call me! There's no reason not to meet up if you guys are in Ampang!!!

ZazaHardy said...

Glad to know you guys have safely arrived. poor sadia.. we hope all are well and is just a matter of time getting pass the jet lag after a year? and a half here. sadia mus be puzzled!

i suppoe it is quite difficult to adjust one's life again. but it will all take time my dear, much patience!

enjoy back home, they say hujan emas negeri sendiri... ;)

Z

Theta said...

Dear Mimin,
Bandar Baru Ampang.
I was thinking of Merdeka Day for afternoon tea if you are free.
I will call you sometime tomorrow!

Zaza dear,
Thanks for putting things in perspective. I was (and am still) having a 'reverse' culture shock.
There are plenty of merits to be had living in Malaysia, the most prominent of which is FOOD!!!
We ate Ampang Yong Tow Foo tonight and I instantly thought of you! ;)

Theta said...

Oh yeah, I almost forgot.
Mimin, I think Bingit and Bengit can be used interchangeably.

Methinks also one is Malaysian spelling and the other is Indonesian. I might be wrong.

ZazaHardy said...

with all the bingit/bengit at least there's ampang yong taufu!

Z

Lollies said...

are you staying in Malaysia for good now? I am sorry ada ketinggalan keretapi ni I think.

ANyway, when I left the UK I felt the same way, my God how so not courteous lot we are.

But you know what, I helped whenever I can. I know most of Malaysians are either not bothered or probably didn't want to meddle with another person worried of being intrusive (I don't know). We don't see why we should help on trivial matters. If I were there with you Theta, I would give you a hand.

Oh the other thing, since I am livinf in the middle east, I thik now Malaysians are way better. orang middle east lagi tak senonoh.

Cosmic_GurL said...

Welcome to KL, where the drivers are mostly kurang ajar, KIASU and rude bunch of morons! I'm sorry u had to endure all that...Sometimes drivers wont even stop at zebra crossings!! Dont get me started on mat rempits!

I think ill stop here...if not lagi panjang my comment sampai blh buat another blog entry. Hehehe...

Unknown said...

Hi Theta,

Hey welcome back. WOW! You're here. Maybe we meet up sometime.

My dear that was how I felt when I came back from a 3 year stint in London. I was grumpy and grumpy the moment I stepped out of the house. I said to people why should we cope up with this POOR quality of life??? When the toll is to be raised the politicians start comparing us with Japan. Hello, their pay is high and their quality of life is good. Or raise any other commodity for that matter they compare us with Singapore or some other western countries...again hellooo...their pay is high and their quality of life is better.

Enuf said Theta. We are on the same side.

I have not given up. I try to do it through my alma mater. I try to modernise my adik2's thinking lah. They are our future. If you guys can do so in your owbn good ways.

Sometimes I think we should form the common people's think tank, the ones who know there can be a better way to live than accepting this...hmm..thinking...

Cheers dear.

Nour said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nour said...

Welcome back theta and family!

Well what can I say, KL is full of rude people...KL'ians will be very upset if they are said to be rude, obnoxious etc...but the truth is they are too consumed with the fast paced city that they sometimes fail to realise being thoughtful is part of what Malaysia is all about. Sigh! Like they always say pasal nila setitik rosak susu sebelanga.

Oh well, welcome back ya!

Theta said...

Zaza,
Haha. That's true. Great to the last bite ;)

Lollies,
Yes, we are back for good.=)
I think it's more because most of them couldn't be bothered, as opposed to fearing to be seen as intrusive. If that is the case, there'd be no kepoci or meddlesome Makciks cases in the workplace. Haha!

Thanks, I know you would help *beaming*

Cosmic Gurl,
I was sniggering watching MAS' ad for Independence Day - the last line said "Or is it our sunny personality...." If only...

But today, one kind soul did open the door to the parking bay in KLCC, while hubby was pushing a stroller...

By the by, I don't mind lengthy comments, nor short ones. :)

Ruby,
I'd love to meet up with you! We'll see how the schedule goes.

If people continue to remain complacent about this type of mindset, Malaysia's quality of life won't improve.

I applaud your great work with the TKC network. In my own small way, I must set an example, by walking the walk, and talking the talk.

Nour,
Nice having you here.
It makes me wonder as to why Malaysians can be ever so friendly to outsiders/foreigners but not with each other.

I hope common courtesy is not dead in Malaysia and our people realise that before it is too late.