Friday, October 13, 2006

TITA Squared





Lest I should postpone it again amidst the domestic chores, fasting and Sadia's unpredictable temperament, I better write this blog now. I don't want it be too old news like my previous few blogs.

Last week, on Thursday, I had the pleasure of finally meeting, Tita aka Dwinita Larasati, a PhD candidate at the same university my husband is attending. It was 3:30 pm and drizzling when Tita appeared at our front door.

Two days earlier, I called her with much trepidation. It is surreal calling someone whom you have only communicated through the internet. My mind was racing. She answered the phone with "Tita!" Later I found out from her one of her sketches, it is the Dutch culture to answer the phone with your name. She was cordial and we set a date.

When I first arrived, we did mull over the possibility of a meet-up. But, due to the lack of internet connect back then, we had to resort playing 'email tag' with one another. Now that things are more settled, a meeting is inevitable and eagerly awaited.

My nervousness was put to rest as we sat down on the sofa and got to know one another better. Tita brought a 'goodie-bag' for Sadia to which I'm humbly grateful. Also, for me, a cooking book for baby with fun food ideas.

I was embarassed that I didn't manage to give anything in return. It did occur to me a day before the meeting: What if she comes bearing a gift? But now that I know she's an avid Lat fan, I will get her some Lat books when I get back home. ;-)

With chocolate digestives and hot tea on hand, we talked about living in the Netherlands, specifically in Delft and Amsterdam - where she and her family reside. Any inquiries that we had about travelling, discount card or even culture were aptly answered. I also found out, she a great lasagna cook - like my twin sister!

Sadia also takes an instant liking to Tita. She likes kids too (like me!), I can tell. Neither Sadia nor Tita mind when Sadia kept bouncing on Tita's lap, for the umpteenth time!

When it was time to leave, we suggested that she took the lift instead of the winding stairs. She agreed to try it out. On hindsight, we should have told her how to operate the lift BEFORE she entered the enclosed domain. Not hollering instruction whilst she was already in it.

She was listening to us and let go off the button/lever she needed to keep pressing until she reached the ground floor. As a result, she got stuck in the lift!!!

Owh no! We tried everything imaginable with regards to the existing contraptions inside the lift but to no avail. My husband then called the university's residence hotline which connected him to our building keeper. Luckily, the lift has a rectangular glass opening to which you can see the outside (that's how we spewed some ideas to Tita on how to get the lift moving again) so Tita wouldn't be so claustrophobic. And I was amazed how calm and not panicky she was in the lift. As someone who has got stuck in the lift TWICE, I was panic-stricken (and teary-eyed when I was pregnant) when that happened to me.

Since the keeper cum lift technician was in the neighbourhood, he cycled quickly to our rescue. He crawled into a space besides the lift and fixed something which enabled Tita to press the lift to the 1st floor where she gladly exited and took the stairs down. When the guy asked her why she didnt take the lift down, she quipped that she had spent too much time in it already!

Yeah it looks like she was in there for half an hour! All the time, she was worried if she could get back in time via train to Amsterdam to cook for her family. I hope she did arrive promptly.

As I told her, this is a meeting she will remember for a long time! Tita heartily agreed. Her effervescent nature put people at ease and is easily transmitted in her comic strips. I'm glad I finally meet another Tita that gives the name justice. Hehe!

Here's a comic that she had sketched of that eventful day. Thanks TIta for being the first one to immortalise me (and Sadia) in ink! ;-)



For more of her wonderful cartoons, please click on this link: Tita's comics

No comments: