Friday, August 04, 2006

The Countdown Begins (Again)



July had come and gone. It’s now the beginning of August. Nothing is more appropriate and auspicious to usher in the month of August than with the birth of my friend, Ina’s son – her third child. Speaking of miracle of life, I do believe in everyday miracles, big or small. And every situation that we face and encounter has a reason behind it.

As August sets in, it dawned on me that it’s almost, in a blink of an eye, going to September. The time to leave Malaysia is imminent. Wow, how time flies. And how I had thought, it would be a drag and downright laborious to wait three months to leave.

As most of you have known, my immediate family and I were supposed to board the flight to Amsterdam on 3rd June. However, as we found out, coming back from Kuching that 31st May, my husband’s Masters programme had been postpone to mid-September. It was devastating to say the least. We had already said our goodbyes, personally and professionally, to be hit by such news nearing our departure date. How anti-climactic!

I resumed my wifely and maternal duties in Ampang while my husband assumed his position back at the office, which was somewhat hilarious since he already gave his farewell speech and cleared his cubicle.

As a firm believer in silver lining behind grey clouds, I know there must be a reason for the deferment of his course. No, it’s not because he wanted to watch the World Cup – far from it – the professors are more well-versed in football than us and might have a hand in moving the course date. But I digress.

Some of the silver linings that I have discovered include the break-in of our apartment due to a lack of tight security, the problematic hand-over of my car loan to its rightful new owner, and spending quality time with my mother.

The latter is a surprising element in my unplanned, extended stay in Malaysia since she had earlier broke down in front of me even before I went back to Kuching. She had professed and lamented that she would miss me as well as our heart-to-heart talks. I was stunned and stumped. I had expected her to be prepared. Now that I’ve stayed longer, I hope, both she and I are ready for the one-year separation.

Of course I’m attached to my mother – on some levels even after getting married. She’s one of my trusty confidantes. I’m grateful to Allah that I’ve gotten a second chance to spend more time with her.

Now that September is looming on the horizon, I’ve to come to grips that we are leaving for Holland. There are a lot of things and people that I’m going to miss. I will miss my family, extended family and friends whose presence comfort and encourage me, and all other things that have become familiar, accustomed and dear to me these past two months or so. As exemplified in my first ever blog last year, I’m a slowpoke when it comes to acclimatizing to a new place. With the support and company of my gleeful husband and cherubic baby at my side, adjusting to changes will be a cinch, God willing.

For now, back to the drawing board and that would be packing! Urgh! Hmmm, where did I stash away my darn sweaters (if I could fit in them, that is)…..

No comments: