Saturday, August 29, 2009

Wanderlust

I shouldn’t take such a long time to update my blog. While I have been busy attending to the ‘babies’, it must not always be the default excuse to abandon this space. The truth is I have not been inspired to write.

Abroad, I was exposed to a motley assortment of experiences that would see me rushing to share it in my blog, particularly with my beloved folks back in the homeland. I love to experience new cultures and explore foreign places. How their way of lives differs from mine, and in turn, how I go about acclimatizing to this new environment without compromising my beliefs, identity and integrity. (In a previous entry, I mentioned fearing a change in geographical location arising mostly from this unavoidable issue of having to adapt and fit in. That aside, travel is my middle name!).

With my kindred spirit, Amy in New York City, June 2002

I love to travel, but I am not the loner sort of traveler. I need companionship to savour the moments with. And being married to someone who shares my passion for the wanderlust befits my thirst for adventures. That is not to say, I have the proverbial itchy feet, ready to take flight at the slightest temptation. On the other hand, I would not hesitate if I have the financial means and no other ‘baggage’ to fuss over.

Nowadays, I have a sense of obligations to my growing family. It is no longer the equation of two people in my tiny universe. There are FOUR of us now and I must take that into account before journeying into any unfamiliar territory.

Of course, it would simply be uplifting to relish those trips only with my other half, but I can’t bring myself to leave them behind at such a young age. I believe there is always a time for the two of us when we find ways for it in our daily lives. Besides, bringing the children in our travels makes the experience richer and more rewarding.

With my darling Sadia in Paree! July 2007

Going by my earlier premise that I look to traveling as my muse in writing, I would like to stress yet again that this keen sense of adventure naturally heightens the urge to regale others of my intoxicating discoveries, the kooky locales and the vibrant flavours in these countries.

Sure, I have traveled locally and met with a few interesting characters along the way, and even unearthed some hidden treasures and niches. But over time, its similarity and monotony leave little to the imagination, and much less to report, especially if you visit the same spots again and again.

Lest someone calls me an ungrateful lot, I must quickly add that it is always gratifying to have the means and privilege to enjoy the local wayfaring two (or three, if I’m lucky!) times a year. I am just saying nothing much surprises me anymore.

I want to see how other people across the globe live and prosper. How their life experiences, societal norms and cultural mindsets can enrich my own perspective. I love to visit the ruins of ancient civilizations and absorb the new, alien surroundings around me.

With 6-month old Sadia in Delft's Saturday market, September 2006

I am a rabid observer of the socio-cultural and geographical kind. Perhaps, it is never too late to dabble in a bit of anthropology. I wonder if Travel & Living Discovery Channel would consider sponsoring a 30-something mother totting two small children around the world. And I don't think my husband would mind at all if I were to fluff the resume up by mentioning that my other half was a geology major - one never knows how handy that will come 'on the (travelling) field'.

1 comment:

NURAINA A SAMAD said...

theta,

i can relate to that wanderlust of yours.
as for me, any urge or lust to travel has got to be a little reined.
at this stage in my life, travel would have to take a back seat. at least for a while.

and when i do get to travel, it's work-related.

hey...not such a bad idea for T&L to have you tell your travel story....

who knows...nothing is impossible.