Friday, August 15, 2008

Blast From the Past

I was browsing through old photos to scan and chanced upon an old album containing those taken during my engagement.

It was a sunny day that December 14th 2003 when I was to become someone's fiancée. I vaguely remember the time, but it was in late afternoon because I could recall people having teatime food. And if I'm not mistaken, it was still the Syawal (Raya) month so the engagement also doubled up as a small Raya gathering.

But most importantly, the momentous day is forever etched in my mind as the day Saddam Hussein was captured by the allied forces! This breaking news was homed in by noisy relatives who were tuning onto the small telly in the dining hall. Luckily, the engagement ceremony had completed by then.

I also recall that my eldest sister was in confinement, having given birth in early December. The fourth-born, Elisa and her mother were cooped up upstairs in a make-shift baby room for the duration of her confinement. Moreover, my twin was almost six months pregnant and my youngest sister was already married for close to 4 months. All of us were still living under our parents' roof at this time, with the exception of my eldest who just opted to spend her confinement at my parents'.

That day also marked the first time I met my future parents-in-law and a slew of other relatives. What a nerve-racking day indeed! Luckily, it went smoothly and I didn't commit any faux pas.


THE Centerpiece - Sirih Junjung - thanks to two extraordinary aunties who are well-known for their Sirih Junjung creations.


Dulangs or Gift Trays from both sides. His - five items - in Gold and mine - seven items- in different shades of peach. ;)


When his mom finally came through the room to slid in both the engagement ring and 'merisik' ring.


With our respective parents and one of his twin nephews.


Please to meet you, my fiance :D

3 comments:

wanshana said...

You looked really lovely Theta - berseri-seri. And this was just the engagement. I bet your wedding pics were even more beautiful and berseri-seri.

I seem to remember seeing pics of your wedding/nikah here once. Would be nice to see a lot more of them (hint, hint ;))

Looking at all the old photos of our engagement and wedding, really brings back the feel-good feeling of yesteryears, kan?

Take care, Theta :)

أم الليث said...

really sweet :)

i look at my wedding photos and wonder how come i've gotten fat since then hahaha

Theta said...

WanShana,

It sure does bring that warm fuzzy feeling looking at these old pixs. It makes me feel grounded and grateful to the steps we'd gone through to get here.

Wedding photos? They're somewhere in archive. I'll pluck some out for an anniversary tribute, insyaAllah. :)

Aliya,

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing too about myself. Haha!