Tuesday, May 08, 2007

It Makes Senseo


Mocking the ubiquitous presence of Starbucks in the US - if only it's the case here!

My face turned ashen when Tita uttered the words that reverberated like a death knell in my ears. “No Starbucks in the Netherlands?” I repeated after her, as if vocalizing the words would aid in digesting the painful reality.

My Starbucks! Boohoohoo! Well, that was not exactly how I – the ever matured adult – responded to her but in my mind, I whinged and whinged.

Histrionics aside, I have now gotten used to live without Starbucks for a record 223 odd days (that is, after deducting the 19 days I was back in Malaysia for Raya last year). It is fairly safe to say that I am somewhat contented with the various Nederlander coffee chains available in different parts of the country.

Imbibing the diverse concoctions on offering at these proverbial cafes has given me the chance to experience the Dutch’s twist to many old favourites. However, I would be remiss if I didn’t admit that at times the taste proved wanting.

Despite all that, I am thoroughly satisfied as far as caffeine quotient is concerned. Truth be told, my surprisingly smug attitude stems from the discovery of a life-saving machine. An invention that has me looked forward to waking up every morning.

Image taken from Senseo's US Site

It is none other than the Senseo coffee machine!

When we moved to our apartment last September, the furnished pad comes with, among others, this funny looking black contraption. After my husband fiddling with it for the first few trials, we finally had lift off! It is such a breeze to use.

First, you fill up a plastic encasement with tap water and insert it back to its place at the rear of the coffee-maker. This detachable water reservoir moulds perfectly to the machine, a feature that makes the Senseo machine so easy to handle. You then press a button which will heat up the water in a matter of seconds. By the way, the water measurement depends on whether you are making one cup or two cups. After the water boils, you put in one (or two) coffee pod (or ‘Koffie Pad’ as it is called in the Netherlands) into the podholder, and firmly close the lid, making sure it is properly locked. Lastly, you put one (or two) mugs of suitable size underneath the spout and press the Start button (choose the Indicator Button from either One Cup Icon or Two Cups Icon).

For a demo, click on this.

Needless to say, a brewed cuppa from this Machine leaves me fully sated and rejuvenates this old body. We love this latest innovation from Philips (Dutch-based) so much that we plan to buy one for our Ampang place before we are due back in Malaysia. Our only qualm is the accessibility to the Coffee Pods in Malaysia once our humongous stock runs out. Probably, some upscale supermarkets in KL (Isetan) or Bangsar (Village Grocer) might carry them. I am not ashamed to admit that I’d go to any lengths for great tasting coffee. If all else fail, we must appeal to the kind help of some Dutch acquaintances to mail us this ‘black-gold’, with some commission of course! Any takers?

10 comments:

Kak Teh said...

No starbucks in the Netherlands?? sorry if i sound like a parrot! anyway,just to let you know, we are the proud owner of Nespresso coffee maker with more than a dozen flavours to choose from - and this is what gets my goat - i dont want 12 flavours to choose from- i only want plain coffee.

Mama Sarah said...

that good? must try their sample packs the next time we go for our grocery shopping. errrkkk, forgot - we dont have coffee machine.

Theta said...

Kak Teh,
Nespresso huh? Saw the ad on tv here.
How big is a cup per serving? I've this preconceived notion that it comes in a small espresso-like cup. Is it true? If so, it's not my cup of tea (err, coffee)....

Mama Sarah,
Suffice to say, we have it for breakfast and tea (err,coffee) time. But the urge to have more is there but like all urges, must be kept in check. ;)

simah said...

am definitely not a cofee lover... cant stand the smell even hehe but i am the officla preparer of the zaim family's turkish coffee since i am the youngest bride...

have u tasted the turkish coffee?

can i link u up to my blog? senang nak hop sikit..

Theta said...

Simah,
No I haven't tasted turkish coffee but you have got my complete attention. Pray tell - what is turkish coffee?
Must be YUMMY!
Yes, do please link me up. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Hi Theta,

I can understand having huge disappointments in not having Starbucks in the vicinity!! Ha ha.

I am a coffee lover. I love Starbucks and I love San Francisco coffee a touch higher than any other.

Tumpang lalu...Simah, I have tasted Turkish coffee. That beats all coffees I've tasted! They have a special pot to brew it and it froths naturally over the fire. Yeah...that good. Cheers Theta.

Anonymous said...

thanks 4 the permission to link...

turkish coffee? cuba u gi kat this addy..

http://refcobass.blogspot.com/2006_03_01_archive.html

baca on *drinks* entry dated 2nd of march...

mai la sini..nanti i buatkan utk u hehehe

by the way.. happy mother's day!

Theta said...

Ruby dear,
We're the same in that case - I love SF and Starbucks too. I don't like Coffee Beans that much. or Gloria Jeans.
Sometimes on a lazy Sunday morning, we go to SF in KLCC and have breakfast there. It opens early and I love how quiet the mall can be in the morning. Love their sugay donut and bagels with cream cheese!

Simah,
From Ruby's description, Turkish coffee sounds divine! Will read your archive soon.
Happy Mother's Day to you too Simah.
Ye ke? Mai Turkey? Tengok budget dulu....hehehe

NorAiniJ said...

Hmm... reading all the comments about cofees, I feel like running to starbucks right after this..hehe

I wonder whether/where I can find Turkish coffee in KL?

Theta said...

Hehe...now you're making me dream about having a Frappucino.....

Yeah, can you find out and let me know? Thanks!