Monday, April 09, 2007

Surreal Surrey



Dear ________,
If you asked me one word to describe my five-day stint in the United Kingdom, I would have to say this: Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!
Hehe...I couldn't resist...

First thing first - it's GREAT to be back to my (temporary) humble abode, lying flat looking at the high ceiling of our loft bedroom and sleeping in late - NOT! At least not the last two parts. It's been a busy day of sorting out laundry and trudging out to a birthday do of a Malaysian friend's 1-year-old daughter.

The last time I stepped foot in United Kingdom was 10 years ago (it was either September or October 1997) on the pretense of accompanying my parents - me and my twin (yes, we were inseparable back then) - for my dad's hernia surgery. I still remember the time as being the onset of that notorious Asian currency crisis. Thailand's Baht was featured time and time again on the tv news. Actually, my twin and I had just gotten back from the UK following her graduation and a short holiday in July. So, we were more than ecstatic to walk down memory lane that soon in the future.

The very first time I came over to the UK was via the United States. To be precise, from Indiana to O'Hare Airport of Chicago and arriving in Gatwick. It was in 1994. The dead of winter during which I had to evict the dorm after the end of Fall Semester. I went to visit my twin sister who just started her coursework in Cardiff, Wales. The following year, same time, I visited her AND my younger sister who also opted the UK for her undergraduate studies in Birmingham.

So it was with capital feeling I came back to the UK after so long a separation. At the very least, I was excited at the prospect of taking in the sights, sound and smell so familiar in the days of yore.

Last Monday, by the time we exited Gatwick's arrival hall to be greeted with the beaming faces of my auntie Idai and cousin Adam, it was already close to 8pm, local time. According to Greenwich time, we gained an hour from the Netherlands. On the flip side, we lost an hour when we entered Holland last night.

The car ride home left Sadia agitated who had been travel-weary from the get-go. We were more than relieved to alight the car and enter the quaint, little cottage where my aunt resides (mostly) with my uncle David (a.k.a. Daud). Mostly, since Adam lives at the university's hall and the eldest, Lindsey is working and staying in bustling London.

Rest assured, my aunt and her family truly feasted us throughout our stay at her place. Sadia was properly cared for in terms of her favourite food like croissant, cornflakes and a variety of fruits! We were both grateful and content with the amount of attention and hospitality bestowed on us three. That first night, a delectable lamb dish took centrestage, with robust coffee for dessert.

The next day, much to our dismay, the weather reverted to a cold, windy variant. Auntie Idai recommended us to stroll along the duck pond just across the street from her house. The large, moss-infested pond was enclosed by grassy mounds on all sides. Indeed, the big field, to which football matches are often held, is a part of this massive bog habitat. The dazed and homesick Sadia eyed the wide green carpet apprehensively.



Taking the communal bus, our first afternoon was well-spent in town, hiking up the long High Street in Guildford town for the usual row of familiar shops and some interesting new ones like Pret, an all-organic new wave type thing of a cafe, where we sat down for lunch. My husband devoured a crayfish wrap, my health-conscious :) aunt had salad while I wolfed down my predictable tuna baguette. And our finicky Sadia nibbled on a healthy slice of apple-infused cake.


View of the entrance to UK's holistic powerhouse Neal's Yard where we bought this therapeutic shampoo (thanks to my twin for introducing it to me during our university days)


Save for lunch and a later coffee break at Starbucks (yay!), we didn't spend anything else. We just scoured the grounds of Guildford town proper to be ventured again during our last day in England.

Wednesday morning arrived for our much anticipated departure to London. Fortunately for us, the train ride to Waterloo Station in London takes less than 45 minutes. Unfortunately however, and commonplace to UK's high public transport expense, our two one-way tickets cost 18 in PoundSterling! My uncle even ranted that his train to York (in the north) cost about 100 in PoundSterling (ridiculous)!

My eyelids are getting heavier now. I will continue with the London part of my jaunt in an upcoming entry. Until then, take great care and enjoy a fabulous Monday!

Sincerely,
Tita

2 comments:

Snafoo said...

Glad u guys had a good time there. My wife studied in Cardiff too (like your twin) for her Law Degree (1993-1995).

Theta said...

1993-1995, eh? My twin did stay in the same 'dorm' or uni hall with a bunch of kakak seniors....maybe one of them was your wife? Egad! I even met them when I stayed with her....
This (possible) six degrees of separation is scary!