Monday, February 06, 2006

To Pacify or Not to Pacify?





I have never been a fan of pacifiers. To me, the pacificier serves as an elementary tool to literally shut the traps of babies and toddlers and mold them into submissive, meek creatures.

This was evidenced by my first-person encounter with the usage of pacifiers (dummies, soothers or comforters if you like) whereupon the babies are forced into a state of artifical stillness by shoving these grimy contraptions into their mouths.

I also don't like the fact that the beautiful, cherubic facial features of a baby to be concealed and obscured by the dreadful pacifier.

A baby's face is an image to be admired and cooed at.

My strong disapproval is further reinforced by the knowledge that my husband's 10-year-old nephew is still a heavy user of the pacifier. To make matters worse, he is using it simultaneously with a trusty, worn-out small pillow that he carries everywhere!

He does look like a placid young boy whenever he is around me and my husband. Shy and coy. But I've heard otherwise when we are not around. Always getting into fights with his siblings.

His elder brothers - a set of twins - had also relied heavily on dummies when they were growing up. And they only stopped at the age of 11! That was solely thanks to my husband's 'bribery' in the form of scooter bicycles which were the rage at that time.

Now 14-year olds, they look much better without those ghastly things hanging out of their faces. (If only we could instill some fashion sense into their choice of clothes).

Their youngest sister is the latest addition to succumb to this dummy culture.

Their mother, in my opinion, largely depends on soothers to get the children off her back amidst her busy schedule as a restaurateur cum caterer. This has also aided in bringing peace and quiet to the household - well, some of the time.

However, like any normal children, 'raucous' and 'rambunctious' are the adjectives that aptly describe their behaviour whenever adult supervision turns minimal.

So probably my impression that kids with a pacifier affixed on their faces are not so meek after all. Or, they become disruptive as a sign of protest for being unduly imposed with such a formidable gadgetry?

As a truce to my keen opposition to pacifiers, I present this impartial link http://www.babycentre.co.uk/refcap/565729.html so as to enable would-be parents, young parents and old parents to re-assess their stance on this ancient yet highly-contested issue.

As for me, I'd be the last person whom you would see having a pacifier near her baby. So no pacificiers as baby gifts! ;-)

No comments: